Talk

Advanced search

i sent to my reception dds assembily this morning and i noticed something that got me wondering

(12 Posts)
pud1 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:19:24

maybe i am just over thinking.....

i noticed that although my dd is the youngest in her class she is also the tallest by quite a bit. she does look like one of the older children in the class and i was wondering if this will create any sort of problem. i know her teacher is aware of her age but could other teacher expect more from her as she looks older.

i have not had any issues so tbh i dont know why it come into my head.

kilmuir Mon 31-Mar-14 11:21:44

I doubt it. All shapes and sizes in my DS class. Lot of the girls are taller than the boys

VenusDeWillendorf Mon 31-Mar-14 11:28:46

I know what you mean pud1 as my dd is the tallest in her class, and I always felt that she was expected to be more mature when she was younger.
But in school, the teachers treat everyone equally, and give leeway for the children being children! There is a huge range in maturity in her class.

It's the judgeypants adults outside school that I was annoyed by when my dd was criticised as a 2 year old toddler for, well, being a 'badly' behaved 3 year old preschooler.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 31-Mar-14 11:30:33

You may well find that by next year, she is average, or even one of the shortest. Kids grow at different rates, at different stages. Your DD could just have had a growth phase before everyone else, and they will all catch up.

tiggytape Mon 31-Mar-14 12:55:49

No not at all. By Year 6 there will be children that look 8 and children that look 14.
At school children are considered purely by which year group they are in.
Outside school, if she looks considerably older, then I imagine this could happen.

DeWe Mon 31-Mar-14 13:24:51

My thoughts, having got a very tall dd.

Things like I remember one girl who was very small (but confident) getting fussed over by the year 6s, who were competing to fetch and carry for her (who didn't really want it). I've also noticed that often the girls do treat the smaller ones as younger, let them get away with things-but I've also seen (or rather heard) the situation where the class spoke to one small girl "in an ickle babbie voicie" all the time. Very irritating!
Now if my dd burst into tears because of something, then the other girls tended to tell her to go to a teacher, and ignore it. If the "little" girl did, on the same issue then they all jumped to try and comfort her.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for tall ones though. Because some of it drove the "little girl" crazy, and she wasn't really treated as a peer, but more as a much younger child, and it did mean that when she grew a bit, and was no longer the smallest, then she did find it a sudden bump, and she found it hard to throw off the stereotype of being the "little one", but had no other position to step into. sad

I never noticed it making any difference in the way the teachers reacted to them.

Hoppinggreen Mon 31-Mar-14 14:32:26

I know what you mean. My 5 year old looks about 7 and at parents evening his teacher said that he got a lip wobble on about not being able to do something and she had to remind herself he was only 5!!!
She said he's so confident about everything too it surprises her when he shows his less confident side.

newbieman1978 Mon 31-Mar-14 15:42:49

Give the professionals a bit more credit.

I presume you mean when your child is out of class ie in the playground or dining hall?

If your child is in a 1 form entry upto 210 pupils (1 class per year group)or smaller then any teacher worth their salt will know the names and class of every child in the school.

Even if your daughter is in a very large 2 or 3 form entry school then again any teacher worth their salt would if they didn't know a child ask their name and what class they are in before making any judgement.

noramum Mon 31-Mar-14 15:46:10

We have small ones in DD's Year 2 class who look as they still belong in pre-school and some who are a head taller than the rest.

I think teacher are used to the variations in sizes. DD is one of the tallest despite being one of the youngest in her class.

Kaekae Mon 31-Mar-14 16:52:45

My son is the youngest in his class and has always been one of the tallest, he is in year 2 now and most have caught up with him but he is still quite tall which I am glad about. The only issue I had was at nursery, people always assumed he was older, he couldn't do things as fast as the others i.e running etc. but it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

InMySpareTime Mon 31-Mar-14 17:33:01

My DS was pretty much oldest in his year, but by far the shortest (barring the DC with dwarfism in his year). He was shorter than the entire class below his, though there were a couple shorter in the year below thatblush. He never let it hold him back, he's confident enough to shake off the "little boy" label and show people what he really can do.
Teachers in primary school know who everyone is and what they are capable of, secondary school is more impersonal (although DS has made a name for himself already if parents' evening is anything to go by).
Build your DC's confidence, and it won't matter if she's biggest, smallest, whatever, she'll be able to express herself.

DalmationDots Thu 03-Apr-14 19:44:23

I think teachers are switched on and intelligent enough to know roughly where each child comes age-wise and that appearance/size has nothing to do with abilities. Don't sweat the small stuff grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now