Talk

Advanced search

How often does your (Year One) child read with their teacher?

(27 Posts)
workatemylife Mon 31-Mar-14 10:48:09

Just that really! I know that there is usually a shift between Reception and Year 1, with less 1-1 reading with the class teacher and more 'guided reading' or 'group reading' with a handful of pupils reading with the teacher or TA. Groups are small-ish (about 5-6 pupils) but not all of them are on the same book band.

Our reading journal contains written comments from us on reading at home, and a handful from a TA or parent volunteer, but the class teacher has only ONCE recorded reading 1-1 with DC since December. Is that normal? Can a teacher really position a child on the right bookband or NC level if they only hear them read once in four months apart from as part of a group with a range of abilities? I don't want to seem pushy and demanding, but we have a parent-teacher meeting early next term and I'm wondering if we should raise this.

simpson Mon 31-Mar-14 10:51:04

DD is in yr1 and there are a handful of comments in her reading diary since September but she does guided reading every week which is recorded internally.

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 31-Mar-14 10:53:08

DD doesn't do any group or guided reading.

She reads twice a week to a TA, majority of the children read 3 times a week to the TA but as she is a good reader she usually only gets to read twice.

I personally think that group/guided reading and one to one reading achieve different things. reading in a group with a member of staff means that they can look at the other skills such as inference and talk about the language, punctuation etc. reading one to one means they can assess the individual child's reading ability. At least that is how I would see it but I could be wrong. I would also expect there to be some very good readers who are nervous reading in a group so might appear not to be as good as they actually are (but perhaps there are others who prefer group to individual)

columngollum Mon 31-Mar-14 10:57:06

I'm not 100% sure any more. But I think the answer is not very often any more. I think the whole reading thing with my daughter has kind of fizzled out (for lots of reasons.) I don't know this, but I suspect that lots of energy is being poured into children who need support. (Just a guess.)

KuppiKahvia Mon 31-Mar-14 11:01:37

In our school the TA/parent helper will provide feedback to the teacher on 1:1/guided reading sessions. The teacher will then direct their support in this area. It works well.
It takes me an afternoon to hear half a class (15) read - so a full day almost for a teacher to hear a full class read - some of it has to be delegated.
The class has a target of each child being heard 3 times a week - normally once with a TA & twice with a helper - the school excels at reading.

Icapturethecastle1 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:07:39

My ds reads once a week guided reading. Never have any comments from the teacher in the book which I think is a shame as last year we got lots.

He has been on orange level since November. He had a reading age assessment in class in Oct and one in February which showed an improvement from 6 years old to reading age of 7 and a half but still no level change. Although not sure those assessments are really accurate.

We read ever night at home and I can see an improvement so I suppose that is all the matters.

MerryMarigold Mon 31-Mar-14 11:09:37

I don't think our teachers read with Y1 pupils at all, apart from guided reading. And the group ds1 was in was done by a TA! I think the teachers can tell what they need to from how they are managing the guided reading books (with ease or difficulty), and also parental comments on the books they are reading at home.

columngollum Mon 31-Mar-14 11:10:12

Although not sure those assessments are really accurate.

The only thing I worry about, if the reading practise in school is a bit shaky, is is that OK? If it doesn't do any harm, well then, I guess it's OK. I'm a bit dubious, but not unduly worried.

columngollum Mon 31-Mar-14 11:11:04

and also parental comments on the books they are reading at home.

hmmm!

MerryMarigold Mon 31-Mar-14 11:14:14

Teachers ain't stupid. They quickly figure out the parents who say their kid read the book easily and then the kid comes in and can't read the guided reading book for toffee! Yes, they will ignore THOSE parents comments. I think the majority of parents are truthful though. (Call me naive).

zirca Mon 31-Mar-14 11:14:15

Just because they're not writing in the reading journal, doesn't mean they're not reading with them. I used to hear children whenever I could (at least once a week on top of Guided Reading), but if I'd stopped to write in the journal each time, I'd have heard half the number of children I did. For Guided Reading, we had a stamp for the journal, as there was a separate form kept in school to record progress. Ask your DC about reading with the teacher, perhaps?

columngollum Mon 31-Mar-14 11:19:53

I suppose it all depends what parents' and teachers' agendas/aims with the comments are. Putting my daughter can read Socrates and make adjustments in Ancient Greek in the diary when any fool can see that she can't use English properly is only one scenario.

Another scenario is my daughter is reading the Horrid Henry series for the second time and wonders why Henry's dad didn't instruct him better on the use of tent pegs.

And the teacher replies, that might be so. But, in the current reading book we don't have Henry, fathers or tent pegs. Please don't mention any of them again.

Icapturethecastle1 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:30:48

Totally agree that writing comments for each child would be too time consuming but a very occasional doing well or needs work on these sounds etc would be nice so I can assist him at home.

Must back away from year 1 reading thread now! grin

LittleMissGreen Mon 31-Mar-14 12:29:01

Children in year 1 at DSs school read daily. Once a week this is in a guided reading session with the teacher. The other times is with a TA on 1:1/guided reading. The teacher then every couple of months or so will individually assess the children to monitor specific progress. That is not to say that they won't move up reading levels after a group read with the teacher. Also, more specific information on the child's class read is held in the school than is sent home in the home-reading book.

workatemylife Mon 31-Mar-14 12:34:18

Wow - thank you for all the replies. I used to quite like the comments from the teacher in the reading journal in reception, but I can see why it is not feasible to keep this up year after year.

I hadn't considered the possibility that a stamp in the reading book might mean that there was a more formal record somewhere else that the teacher writes, or is given by the TA. I'll maybe ask the teacher at the meeting after Easter for some insight into what these 'guided reading' sessions show about progress or problems. Part of my reason for asking the question was that DC has been sitting on the same bookband for what seems like a lifetime. Last year, when pupils read with the class teacher this was the point at which they might move up a bookband. I was wondering whether the lack of movement this year means that (a) little workate is not really making much progress with reading, in which case it would be nice to know how to help at home or (2) little workate hasn't registered on the radar of class teacher in months so hasn't had the chance to progress despite, as columngollum says being able to read Socrates and make adjustments in Ancient Greek . Love that example!

millymolls Mon 31-Mar-14 12:56:58

to answer you question, my Y1 (and Y2 2) child still read every day to the teacher on one on one sessions - and then do a mixture of guided reading in literacy lessons. They are also expected to read at home every evening too (which we manage maybe 5 out of 7 days!) The teacher is not just seeing if they can read, but checking comprehension, fluency and expression also.

LittleMissGreen Mon 31-Mar-14 13:01:09

I think it is fair enough to ask about what your child should be working on - our school put the child's current target into their reading record, so we know specifically what they should be working on. They also then note if that target was achieved during a class session (needs to be achieved independently in school a few times before we then get a new target).

Kaekae Mon 31-Mar-14 17:00:28

Once a week, it rotates between the TA and class teacher and one week they will do guided/group reading and then the next week they'll have a 1:1 reading session. We get detailed comments with suggestions which I really like and am thankful for because it means I can then help DS more when I listen to him read at home.

RiversideMum Tue 01-Apr-14 07:05:03

I have no idea how a teacher fits in daily 1:1 reading for all children.

TheGruffalo2 Tue 01-Apr-14 07:20:20

What are all the other children doing while 1:1 reading is happening with the teacher millymolls?

BeaLola Tue 01-Apr-14 09:42:05

It varies , was more earlier in Year 1. Now they have teacher once a week sometimes this is for a guided session, and they have TA and volunteers twice a week. We read nearly every night at home (weekends not often ). Im pretty ok with it though as DS couldnt read at start of Year 1 and has now progressed to orange so is doing well.

MmeMorrible Tue 01-Apr-14 21:58:22

DS is in Y2 but in his school, every child up to end of Y3 reads to a TA every day and in rotation, to their class teacher once a week. Reading at home is expected every night, with comment in reading diary back to school ready for the next day. Agree with a previous poster that this drives fluency of reading, expression and comprehension.

itsnothingoriginal Tue 01-Apr-14 22:24:04

Yr 2 but no comments on DD's reading since well before Christmas. Feeling rather dejected about it to be honest. I read with DD every day and write in reading record most nights but never get comments back and DD tells me that her guided reading group are usually given a sheet of questions and left to get on with it!

Appreciate teachers are stretched but I would like to know she is being listened to reading in school and to get some idea of what to work on at home.

workatemylife Wed 02-Apr-14 09:30:24

What a range of experiences! I suppose a lot must depend on how many adults there are in the classroom. As Gruffalo says, what are other children doing while the teacher is reading 1-1? It doesn't sound like we are the exception, but the whole system relies a lot on parents investing time, and understanding whether their child is coping well or not. I'm always surprised by what mine can do, and also by what they cannot.

blueberryboybait Wed 02-Apr-14 21:26:48

Ours read once a week with the teacher, once with the TA, once with a parent helper and 2 guided reading sessions. On the days they do guided reading they get a stamp in their reading record saying 'I did guided reading today'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now