Talk

Advanced search

New Captain America Film 12a - Ive been told too violent and not suitable for a 9 year old?

(10 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Mon 31-Mar-14 09:23:07

Had planned to take my Son and his friend to this new film soon but someone has said "Well I wouldnt take my 9 year old, its too violent".

What do others think?

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 31-Mar-14 09:40:07

I work in the "entertainment" business

If a film is 12a, it's for a good reason - it almost certainly is too violent for a 9 year old.

Film companies do everything they can to obtain the "lowest" age-range certificate possible to maximise revenue. So the censors will have decided 12 really is the youngest acceptable age for this and even then it may be pushing boundaries.

I wouldn't take my 9 year old to a 12a unless I'd already seen it and (unlikely) thought it was actually appropriate, and CERTAINLY wouldn't take a friend without express permission from the parents.

PastSellByDate Mon 31-Mar-14 10:02:43

Common sense media doesn't have a review for Captain America: Winter Soldier yet: www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/captain-america-the-winter-soldier - will be available from 4 April...

but my 11 year old and 9 year old girls adore the avengers series, especially Thor, so we saw it this weekend.

I agree this was a violent film - there is shooting, fist fights, stabbings, bombs/ grenades and explosions. But to be honest none of that doesn't appear on the Saturday morning Avengers cartoon or Spider man. As a 3D film I can also say that the filming of it - the swirling through buildings/ in and around air craft was very beautifully filmed and very effective.

My 9 year old was worried for Black widow (her favourite character at the moment) at one juncture - and hid her eyes when it looked grim - but could hear all was well.

Personally I don't think it was any worse than any of the previous films. Rated 12A - so the certificate implies down to parental judgement on this if under 12.

Good points - it does portray value of:

Loyalty
doing the right thing when it's difficult
Freedom as a concept
helping friends

and that old nutshell - fighting for a better America/ world (US films get the two muddled at times)

I found it fast paced, tightly plotted (and as the non-fan in the crowd I enjoyed this), better acted than the last Thor film and found the 3D effects added to the experience (weren't add ons).

HINT: Stay during the credits for 2 sneak peaks for the next films - one midway through and one at the end. (By the way -all the Marvel films do this - so just develop the habit).

HTH

Slackgardener Mon 31-Mar-14 10:05:29

I would take my dcs but I wouldn't take anyone else's without their express permission. My dcs (10) have seen a few 12's, dd found Gravity unbearably tense - but then that was the point wasn't it?

PastSellByDate Mon 31-Mar-14 10:06:07

PS if you're a Jenny Agutter fan - there's a treat for you in Captain America: Winter Soldier!

tiredbutnotweary Mon 31-Mar-14 10:08:22

You're always going that extra mile in your posts Past.

I wish I could nominate you for a MN 'poster that always adds something positive to posts' award grin

PastSellByDate Mon 31-Mar-14 10:22:47

Thanks tired

I fear the reason I know far too much about Captain America: Winter Soldier is that DH & DDs took me to see it [for which you should very definitely read: *the film they wanted to see*] for mother's day.

They did buy me a coffee and some chocolates for during the film - so it wasn't all bad. And despite myself, I actually enjoyed it.

I will have my revenge on father's day. I hoping Disney have some drippy princess movie out!

lainiekazan Mon 31-Mar-14 10:26:24

dd (10) saw it on Friday. Dh goes on a website (is it Imdb - something like that) that gives detailed breakdowns of what unsuitable bits a film might contain. Dd was not phased by the film, but found it a bit "explosiony" and "grey". Dh and ds gave it 5*.

12 ratings are weird. I watched Vicky Christine Barcelona with dd and was shock that it was a 12 as there were scenes of lesbian sex. Likewise we watched Mean Girls last night and that too was every bit a 15 imo. Dd was keen to see it and I felt rather uncomfortable with some of the scenes. Ds, 15, had to retreat behind his science book as he was embarrassed. Otoh Misery is an 18 and that is entirely suitable for any age - bit of ankle breaking but all done in a rather comedic style.

TheVictorian Mon 31-Mar-14 11:21:12

Some times it can be a certain scene that pushes the age rating up on a film. So while the majority of the film will be ok, its just that certain scenes will have needed to have been given the higher adult rating.

juniper44 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:56:40

This site has some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now