Talk

Advanced search

A story from a Y1 writing phobic boy - please level

(12 Posts)
teafor1 Sat 29-Mar-14 16:20:41

My son has come a long way this year, from being absolutely writing phobic with tears to actually writing a story! I am worried about his writing and I know I should be happy that he produced anything but I would love to have an idea of what this would be leveled. I know that 1 thing isn't enough but any thoughts? It was wrote absolutely independently and the writing is neat.

A long tim ago to robots livd. Thay had no Home but thay never had a job and then stuf chanchd thay got a Home and got a job and livd haply ever after.

saltlakecity Sat 29-Mar-14 17:33:58

It's not long enough to give a level I'm afraid but well done to him.

NewtRipley Sat 29-Mar-14 18:45:02

God, i appreciate that you are worried, but it's a bloody sad thing that a parent of a year 1 should have to worry about this.

Well done him.

TheGruffalo2 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:56:47

I can't level it as a single, very short piece but there are lots of positives. Awareness of capital letters and full stops, mostly used accurately; traditional story opening and closing (A long time ago & happily ever after); conjunctions used; simple phrases to convey meaning (that makes sense).
Well done tea-junior.

teafor1 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:24:59

NewRipley it is sad that I'm concerned about levels. I wish I could just be happy about a cute little story.

TheGruffalo thanks, very helpful.

I just need to be happy he wrote this with a smile on his face! It's huge progress for him. He loves reading and is doing really well with that but the writing has been stressful for him.

Sleepyhoglet Sat 29-Mar-14 21:07:57

Get him to draw a cartoon strip of pictures. The dilemma/exciting part of ghe story is non existent!

Bluestocking Sat 29-Mar-14 21:10:00

I'm not a teacher and have no knowledge of levels, but I think that's a fantastic story. I'd love to know more about the stuff that changed. Perhaps he could do the comic strip about that bit?

teafor1 Sat 29-Mar-14 21:36:42

I asked what had changed and he talked a bit about "badies" and magic and then was off to play so I didn't as much of an answer as I wanted. I think after what was quite a bit of writing for him he had had enough. Hopefully this first little story at home will increase his writing confidence. Baby steps, right?

NewtRipley Sun 30-Mar-14 10:35:24

It is great that he is reading, listening to stories, and non-fiction too (lots of children prefer non-fiction books, cartoons. joke books). You can always tell the children who read a lot by their vocabulary and ability to structure a story and know the conventions of fiction writing.

His physical ability will catch up. Give it time. My advice : don't push writing at home. Strengthen his grip - Lego, scissors, using clothes pegs, using tweezers, stringing beads, drawing, doing maze puzzles.

sezamcgregor Wed 02-Apr-14 12:14:56

My son (yr 1) is also behind with his writing. The teacher told me if he can get up to where his peers are, he will go up to the next class in the middle teir.

My opinion is that he'll get it in his own time. Bollocks to their tests and box ticking.

sbutt78 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:21:21

My daughter is in year 1 and is struggling with phonics/reading/writing so if she wrote a story like this I would be over the moon not worried.

Polkadotscarf Fri 04-Apr-14 06:31:46

This is hard to level with out seeing the handwriting too. A general rule is that if you can read it without the child next to you then it is a 1c at least. We then take in to account word choice, punctuation, spelling etc to say if it is higher than that.
Well done to your son for making such progress! I hope you are very proud of him! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now