Talk

Advanced search

KS1 teachers- how do your children plan their writing?

(13 Posts)
MrsKCastle Sat 29-Mar-14 11:23:14

Just as title says, really. I'm interested in whether ks1 children are usually encouraged to plan what they want to write, e.g. use of a planning frame, bullet points, verbally rehearsing etc. At what stage would you start doing this?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 29-Mar-14 12:36:11

Right from the beginning I think. Although it really depends on the stage the child is at and the type of writing you are doing.

Verbally rehearsing - as soon as they begin to write independent sentences. So in reception I might get them to think of a sentence, say it out loud, write it, then re-read it.

Then once they start writing longer pieces I'd still do a lot of oral work to pull out and expand on ideas but would move onto simple planning frames e.g. beginning, middle, end, maybe sketching a storyboard.

Then more complex planning frames, to help expand on details once they know how to write stories etc with a basic structure.

mrz Sat 29-Mar-14 13:42:03

Verbal rehersing, story maps, story boards etc

Ferguson Sat 29-Mar-14 19:17:02

In some schools I've worked in, children might work in pairs or small groups, to do the discussion and verbal rehearsing, so in effect the more able modeling for the less able sometimes.

justmuddlingalongsomehow Sat 29-Mar-14 19:18:18

Story maps or bubble plans

MrsKCastle Sat 29-Mar-14 20:07:26

Thanks for replying everyone. That's pretty much what I imagined would be happening. When I work with DD1 on her homework, I encourage her to talk it through with me and then we often write down some key words to remind her of the sentences she's rehearsed verbally. Sounds as though I'm on the right lines.

HolidayCriminal Sat 29-Mar-14 20:16:16

Gosh, DS is nearly 10yo & still can't (won't) do hardly any of that. bit of verbal rehearsing, maybe.

MrsKCastle Sat 29-Mar-14 21:09:38

HolidayCriminal that surprises me. I teach Y6 and expect them to plan every piece of writing. Maybe he plans more at school than he will at home.

mrz Sun 30-Mar-14 08:10:30

In KS1 I do lots of whole class modelling of planning or we might decide on a class story map that children can use if they wish

HolidayCriminal Sun 30-Mar-14 09:45:55

Working in groups it's easy to rely on others to do the work.

melonribena Sun 30-Mar-14 09:51:23

We plan using all of these methods, allowing the children to talk through their ideas and ensure the structure is there.

Discussion in pairs or as a class, story maps, planning writing frames, notes or bullet points.

I also emphasise that a plan is there to help not restrict. If they want to change the ending during the actual writing process then this is fine.

mrz Sun 30-Mar-14 09:55:32

When you are just 5 years old you may need the support of a group HC

HolidayCriminal Sun 30-Mar-14 17:49:28

oh sure, MRZ. I was reply to someone MrsK expressing surprise that my nearly 10yo struggles to do those things. Around me, anyway. Getting him to write anything can still be like asking him to stick pins in his eyes. He panics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now