Talk

Advanced search

Introducing uniform at non-uniform school

(4 Posts)
unitard Fri 28-Mar-14 21:45:52

Our new head wants to introduce uniform. It is part of a move towards greater formality as she has already decreed that children call teachers by second names.
I am interested to hear experiences from other primary schools where uniform has been introduced. It's quite a big deal at our school as a friendly, informal, child-centered ethos was very much the school's selling point.
Were parents consulted? If not, did it cause bad feeling? If so, how was it handled? What was lost? What was gained?

doodledotmum Fri 28-Mar-14 23:13:08

A school near us recently did this although web site calls it something like 'common dress code' and says still optional bug parents wanted it? Luckily our school kind of has uniform but very loosely applied. I't works for me. Kids wear a range of stuff from fully branded polos, cardis, jumpers and fleeces to supermarket stuff to none!

doodledotmum Fri 28-Mar-14 23:15:53

I should have added that I went to an amazing school where teachers were called by 1st name and no uniform. I have previously gone to a uniform school that was rubbish. Fancy uniform does not always mean excellence.

joanofarchitrave Fri 28-Mar-14 23:25:35

We have had a consultation twice in the ten years I've known our local school. It always comes out at 'no change', though the balance is shifting slowly. Those against change asked why it seemed to be acceptable to keep consulting - was the aim just to consult until those pro got the answer they wanted?

The governing body discussed the issue at length and found out that the staff, who were all pro, mainly wanted it so that the children were easy to identify on school trips (and the school has a few runners, so it made sense). A compromise was introduced requiring all children to own one piece of school uniform-type clothing - most of them go for a branded fleece at around £10, but there are a couple of other options, one very cheap indeed, and a second-hand market. They are required to wear that item on school trips but otherwise not. IMO it's a very good compromise that seems to have taken the heat out of the issue. Having been mildly pro uniform before ds went to this school, I am now reasonably strongly anti, although I wouldn't choose or reject a school on that basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now