Talk

Advanced search

being kept in after school

(12 Posts)
gemsyc Fri 28-Mar-14 16:50:55

could anyone possibly help me.. my son is on just 11 and in year 6 he has jsut started walking home alone he has instructions to call me when he leaves school and then again when he is hom... he didnt hit a tartget in scholl so was kept in by in teaher and not allowed to call me and tell me he explained he had to walk home alone but was ingored by the teacher he run home in panic as a neighbour was waiting.. is this allowed ??

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Fri 28-Mar-14 17:27:43

You need to speak to the school. This would not happen in the school I work in.

Menolly Fri 28-Mar-14 17:51:16

I'd speak to the school. Round here primary schools don't keep children in after school anyway but I know that all the secondary schools in my area would of let you know, usually the day before so you could adjust transport plans if need be (rural area so missing the bus can be a massive issue).

clam Fri 28-Mar-14 18:00:21

Bad practice. Shouldn't happen. There are many other ways she could get her point across which doesn't involve keeping in after school.

JodieGarberJacob Fri 28-Mar-14 18:23:06

First confirm with the school that this actually happened!

Galena Fri 28-Mar-14 19:05:26

Primary schools are not allowed to keep children after school at all, as far as I know, let alone with no parental permission.

spanieleyes Fri 28-Mar-14 19:41:45

There is no way we would keep a child after school ( nor would any primary school I have ever worked in!) Are you sure he is telling the truth? I once spotted 2 children in the local park after assuring me and their parents that they would walk straight home!

saltlakecity Sat 29-Mar-14 17:58:27

Definitely wouldnt happen in the three primaries I have worked in. Is he telling the truth?

EdithWeston Sat 29-Mar-14 18:04:53

I think you need to check what happened.

A primary wouldn't do a detention like this, but a teacher might have asked him for a word at the end of the day - but that would only be a matter of minutes, and it simply doesn't sound right that he could not make his usual "leaving school" call (his own mobile?)

PotteringAlong Sat 29-Mar-14 18:12:51

Certainly in secondary school it's legally absolutely fine, but I'm not sure about primary school.

Brightbluebells Sat 29-Mar-14 19:10:47

Although this isn't good practice, as long as after school detentions are in the school's behaviour policy and the policy has been ratified by governors and shared with parents then it is perfectly legal in primary schools. However, although a school does not need parents' permission to give an after school detention, they should inform the parent when it is and why.

DeWe Sat 29-Mar-14 19:46:53

Probably "kept in" may be along the lines of "quick word", not really more than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now