Talk

Advanced search

Good resources for a positive approach to healthy eating?

(5 Posts)
fuzzpig Fri 28-Mar-14 10:30:07

DD's school (she's yr2) seem to be learning about healthy eating again. It's mostly good I think with lots of focus on trying different veg/fruit, although there's a few bits that have made me hmm like when that now infamous change4life stuff came home with the dodgy 'smart swaps' etc. In the past she's mentioned the odd thing like 'fats and sugars are unhealthy but carbohydrates are healthy'

Generally I haven't really broached the subject at home as she eats quite well anyway and I don't want to make food into an issue IYSWIM, but now she is asking me about it I want to just take a really positive approach (ie "let's nourish our bodies" rather than "don't eat such and such or you'll get fat") and it occurred to me that I'm not really sure how to explain it.

So any child friendly books etc that are good to explain things like good fats, protein, vitamins etc and how they help her would be much appreciated! smile

PastSellByDate Fri 28-Mar-14 13:09:23

some ideas here: www.familylearning.org.uk/balanced_diet.html

Basically - can't hurt to just encourage her to watch cooking shows and develop an interest in cooking meals from fresh ingredients.

Growing vegetables at home is a great way of getting children involved in making food they eat - understanding the effort involved (i.e. food just doesn't appear at TESCO) and enjoying your harvest! Things like string beans or broad beans are easy to grow and very rewarding. If your child likes tomatoes - plant a pot indoors in a bright spot (maybe the kitchen window?).

Teaching them that healthy choices (so fresh fruit or vegetables over crisps or candies) make a difference.

Shows like junior masterchef or ready/ steady/ cook - make cooking seem exciting & fun. My DD1 is a huge Mary Berry fan. And is avidly watching her new show.

PastSellByDate Fri 28-Mar-14 13:13:07

Forgot to say - strawberries are a great thing to grow (maybe best in a pot) - our girls love doing that and eating their home grown strawberries.

Also can go to a pick your own fruit farm and then make things like jams.

In general I think the thing I'm trying to teach my children is that no food on its own is instantly bad - it's all about balance. A hot chocolate on a cold winter's day warms and comforts. And if it is just an occasional treat like that it will never be a problem. The issue is having something you know isn't that good for you (fried foods, take aways, McDonalds, etc...) a lot of the time.

Moderation is a very old fashioned idea - but useful in terms of our diet.

fuzzpig Sat 29-Mar-14 21:48:04

Thanks past, I'll check out that site smile

DD is really getting into cooking now and after a couple of years when I was too ill to prepare food, I'm finally able to cook with her smile so I'm trying to add healthy meals that we can do together and in the long term it'll serve her well.

Will think about growing stuff, we've done that in the past but lapsed blush come to think of it, it'd be especially good for DS (4) who is still rather picky.

Totally agree about moderation, that is exactly what I want her to understand smile I think learning more about what different types of food do for our bodies will really help with that too.

BlueChampagne Mon 31-Mar-14 16:16:06

Growing your own also teaches seasonality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now