Talk

Advanced search

Please can somebody help me find a boring article

(9 Posts)
columngollum Wed 26-Mar-14 09:59:19

Somebody said that their daughter had a boring article and lots of detailed comprehension questions to answer about it.

I'm really keen to find a boring article (any boring article) as long as it has an accompanying set of comprehension questions with it. (This enquiry has no other purpose save but mounting curiosity.)

ThreeTomatoes Wed 26-Mar-14 13:27:26

grin gollum just seen this!

Bear in mind 'boring' is in the eye of the beholder, and i think dd's assessment of them is partly down to fatigue - the funny thing was, the one i found the other day was a story complete with questions, followed by a factual article (& questions) that turned out to be about tigers, dd's favourite animal, I pointed this out to her, she hadn't even looked at it and her eyes lit up! grin blush

She still hasn't done it though...

ThreeTomatoes Wed 26-Mar-14 13:31:32

It might have been this one but i can't download it because I'm not a member!

ThreeTomatoes Wed 26-Mar-14 13:33:37

And to put gollum's query in context, dd has been complaining about all the 'boring' reading comprehension exercises they get given at school. This has been mounting up in the run-up to SATs, as they've obv been doing lots of reading/writing/maths tests. dd is just impatient to get on with reading for pleasure (the comprehension exercises get given as 'punishment' if detailed comments aren't filled in on the reading record at least 5 times a week), and with writing whatever the hell she wants to write about.......

PastSellByDate Wed 26-Mar-14 14:51:00

column:

Not sure if this is what you mean - but my DD has been doing lots of past papers:

www.satspapers.co.uk/ks2.php

simpson Wed 26-Mar-14 15:44:33

DD (yr1) has been doing loads of (boring) comprehension papers (not SATS). Unfortunately the last one was so dull that I handed it back to the teacher not done so can't remember what it was.

These are set for her homework though, not what she has been doing in class.

columngollum Wed 26-Mar-14 22:00:22

Comprehension and the Internet seems to frequently involve payment!

teacherwith2kids Wed 26-Mar-14 22:36:00

Column,

I suspct that the Level 6 Reading papers linked at the bottom of PSBD's link would probably meet your needs - I find looking at the marking scheme, thinking about the precision of the answers being looked for etc quite useful.

teacherwith2kids Wed 26-Mar-14 22:40:19

I am not necessarily saying that the reading stimulus / articles are dull, though. In other contexts the information might be seen as interesting. Just that I have never found test papers, of any kind, riveting reading1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now