Talk

Advanced search

Year 2 Parent's Evening

(6 Posts)
Amy1304 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:24:15

Dear All,
I went to my daughter's parent's evening. She is in year 2 and she had the following levels
Mental Maths 3b
Mathematics 3b
Science 3c
Writing 2a+
Reading 3c
Speaking&Listening 2a+
Her teacher reckons she is very close to getting Level 3 in writing. Does anyway know is this the normal grades in year 2?
Thanks
Amy

mrz Tue 25-Mar-14 21:28:39

Level 2 is the expected level in Y2

Smartiepants79 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:31:41

3bs in maths is good, anything in level 3 is above average for her age range.

AryaUnderfoot Tue 25-Mar-14 21:41:41

A teacher gave you all those levels but didn't tell you the national expected level for the end of year2? Did you not think to ask Google?

Euphemia Wed 26-Mar-14 07:08:01

Never mind ask Google, did you not think to ask the teacher?

PastSellByDate Wed 26-Mar-14 09:54:27

Arya & Euphemia:

Just to be devil's advocate here - many schools give parents 10 minute slots at these Parent/ Teacher meetings and that's it. Often by the time your appointment rolls round you're down to 5 minutes. This information is handed to them on a sheet or said quickly verbally. [My personal preference is info on a sheet and if you're going that far why not put down national expectations for that school year].

Your worry might be that X is pushing your child over every day - so you talk about that for 3 minutes. And frankly saying hello / goodbye and the usual niceties eats up another minute - so many parents (myself included) rarely get the chance to really ask those questions or can think fast enough to do it.

Yes - I agree Amy & others - try typing things like expected NC Levels Year 2 on a search engine or look at the MN education pages on assessment: www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/introduction

However just to add to our collective primary joy - in its infinite wisdom the government has decided to abandon national curriculum levels (except for SATs testing) and devolve levelling/ marking down to individual schools. I suspect what this will mean is schools will 'game' this system - telling parents their children are 5 unicorns which is way ahead of expected standards - which keeps them quiet until Y2 SATs or Y6 SATs. In systems where infant and junior schools are separated basically this means parents find out so late in the cycle how their child is actually doing against national standards that there's little that can be done. It's the next school's look out.

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic - but just like returning school work is now devolved to individual HTs decision (which at our school means nothing comes home unless you make a fuss) - parents are piggy in the middle and basically either have to go to war to get basic information or change schools.

I've done both but found the latter (in our case moving to a better school catchment) so much easier and have been pleasantly surprised to find DD2 at a school which is so utterly 'normal' (at least in terms of my own expectations of what a school should be like).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now