Talk

Advanced search

Strike tomorrow - can someone explain why schools are still open?

(12 Posts)
discophile Tue 25-Mar-14 20:39:38

I don't understand about the strike tomorrow. Are teachers going in or not? If they are not, I assume children aren't either. I can't get a straight answer from anyone. My son's school has sent a letter home saying it will be closed tomorrow. However, the school I work in has no information on the website and the headteacher has sent an email saying the school is open all day. Does that mean the school is open without any pupils? Am I being totally stupid?

5madthings Tue 25-Mar-14 20:41:12

It is only the nut that is striking so it depends which union the teachers are members of, my kids schools are both open.

NickNacks Tue 25-Mar-14 20:41:26

Because not all teachers belong to the union that is striking.

MissPricklePants Tue 25-Mar-14 20:41:59

My dds school is closed, the school I work in is open apart from 4 classes as those teachers are striking. I would imagine you will have pupils in tomorrow, if ours was closed all TAs and Hltas are expected in to sort resources etc.

Not all the teachers belong to unions that are striking - so I assume they will be I. Work as normal, and other teachers who don't want to strike can join them if they choose.

As far as I know, there are several teaching unions, and a separate union for Head teachers.

littleblackno Tue 25-Mar-14 20:44:14

Generally if staff are due to work and not striking they should still go in but I'm not sure how that works with non teaching staff if there are no pupils.
Sorry probably not helpful!

discophile Tue 25-Mar-14 20:44:39

Bizarre that there's nothing on the school's website to explain. Thanks for the replies.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 25-Mar-14 20:45:53

Yes, it is just the NUT. My dc's school is open, however the last strike was NAS/UWT and it shut then.

Afaik teachers have no obligation to tell their HT in advance if they are striking (althougn in practice most do).

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 25-Mar-14 20:47:11

We closed during the last strike. Staff who decided not to strike came in to sort classrooms and cupboards.

We don't have may teachers in the union currently striking so we are open for pupils as per usual tomorrow.
Our adjoining infant school however is closed.

bigbuttons Tue 25-Mar-14 20:47:16

TAs and non teaching staff still go in.

MrsKCastle Wed 26-Mar-14 07:02:42

Generally, those schools which are closing (or part closing) make it very clear on the website, send a letter home and tell parents on collection the day before. If your HT has emailed to say the school is open, then it's open.

mrz Wed 26-Mar-14 08:02:31

My LEA is also listing schools that are closed on their website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now