Talk

Advanced search

Primary school options in Kennington, London

(10 Posts)
Katgrant30 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:19:53

Hi - we are in North Kennington (SE11) and are starting to research options for our 17 month old son. We are very close to archbishop Sumners primary school, which we hear really good things about, but I'd be keen to hear others experiences of other options in the area, both state and independent.
Thanks!

pancakesfortea Tue 25-Mar-14 15:26:52

I'm up the road in Vauxhall. Our own school would be too far away for you but my friends with kids at AS are very pleased with it. Nice mix of kids, lots of extra curricular stuff. Compared to our school I would say they get a lot of homework - perhaps a bit much for my liking. But some parents like that.

pancakesfortea Tue 25-Mar-14 15:28:04

I'm not sure what the independent options are at primary - you see a lot on the bus to Newton Prep, which isn't really local.

Katgrant30 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:51:24

Thanks ladies - yes I'm not sure where the nearest independent schools are - probably Battersea, Dulwich or Chelsea or Pimlico... It's a minefield out there!!

Randomnames Tue 25-Mar-14 19:22:25

My nieces attend Archbishop T. and they love it. They are always telling me what great things they do.- really interesting guest visitors as well. opportunities for children to get involved in good quality extra curricular. Examples, they recently had a visitor - "David Attenbrough". Auditions for a prestigious ballet school, of which my niece was chosen along with a boy. Lots of museum trips and assemblies, and drama. I compare with my son's school and we apparently live in a more wealthy borough but the school offers very little at this caliber. Recognition of diversity reflected in the curriculum - as I've seen some of their homework, which included Black history, Fire of London, Romans and Tudors. Its a church school. It's a Christian church school that gives the children a good basic understanding of Christianity but doesn't over do it or neglect. In terms of State schools in the area I would send my son there if we lived nearer.

Katgrant30 Wed 26-Mar-14 00:17:05

Thanks Randomnames, yes I've heard the headmistress at AS is very proactive and energetic in terms of activities and school trips etc. slightly concerned though she may retire before we get there, but hopefully the ethos will continue! It's so well located for making the most of London - in always seeing groups of kids being shepherded on to the buses. Good on them.

NynaevesSister Thu 27-Mar-14 14:01:50

I know people speak highly of Crawford Primary and of I e family who moved their children there. It is near Kings. Not sure where that is in relation to you.

kattiekat81 Tue 09-Dec-14 15:14:05

not sure if you still need the info but my son goes to walnut tree walk primary school which is just across the road to archbishop sumner. its a lovely little school. great staff too.

kattiekat81 Tue 09-Dec-14 15:18:29

forgot to add has a breakfast and after school cub which is very handy and extremely cheap at £1 a day breakfast and £6 per day after school club

UsernameAlreadyInUse Tue 09-Dec-14 15:23:50

I don't think there are any independents in Kennington - the nearest ones would probably be the London Christian School in Borough, Westminster Under or Thomas's or Newton Prep in Battersea.

Friends of mine have children at Keyworth (near Kennington tube although it sounds to me like you're more in Lambeth North) and give it mixed reviews - it is Ofsted outstanding though. Crawford has also been recommended to me, it's near Elephant and Castle. You might also be in the "catchment" for Southwark cathedral school if you start churchgoing early enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now