Talk

Advanced search

Counting money's

(11 Posts)
IKnowAMouse Tue 25-Mar-14 13:30:27

At around what age would a child start being able to count a handful of money as an adult would? So for example saying "20, 40, 50, 60, 65" to count 2 20ps, 2 10ps and a 5p. Not sure if I am expecting too much of dd.

Thanks

IKnowAMouse Tue 25-Mar-14 13:31:10

Bottoms. Don't know where that 's came from!

DeWe Tue 25-Mar-14 13:38:08

I know ds would, he's 6yo, and certainly did a year ago, not sure about when he would have done that. he is good at maths though.

noramum Tue 25-Mar-14 14:08:59

I think DD started in Summer term Year 1 to get money-homework and games where they had to deal with various prices and sorting out what coins to use.

She could do it already as she gets pocket money and we count coins quite a lot so it depends on your circumstances at home.

TeenAndTween Tue 25-Mar-14 14:11:04

My DD2 can do this now more or less in y4. She couldn't do it in y2, so I'm guessing she got this in y3 sometime, so 8 yrs old.

steppemum Tue 25-Mar-14 14:15:56

dcs in year 1 and 4,
in year 1, maybe at a push (and she is good with money/maths)

In year 4, would be worried if she couldn't.

many year 1s can't reliably recognise all the coins, and get really confused that you count the amount money, not the number of actual coins. Depends somewhat as well if they have experience of shopping/handling money.

IKnowAMouse Tue 25-Mar-14 19:52:24

Thank you, seems like quite a range which was what I was thinking

Ferguson Wed 26-Mar-14 19:22:03

Yes, as steppemum says, it takes some children a considerable time to reallise that they can't just count the number of COINS, and start to appreciate the different value of each coin. I suppose this is made all the harder as SIZE isn't a guide to value; a young child might expect a larger coin to be more valuable than a small one.

Give plenty of practice in a 'play' situation, using real coins if you can. Also, try writing it down with, or for, the child, so they see how each coin is represented on paper.

MrsKCastle Wed 26-Mar-14 20:17:52

My DD1 is 5 (Y1) and can't do this yet, although I know they have been doing a lot of work on money. She could probably do it with a small amount - under 20p, say. But not up to £1.

poopsydaisy Thu 27-Mar-14 08:19:03

My DC started doing this in yr 1, and got competent at it by yr 2. DC is good at maths though, & I know other kids in his class struggled to pick it up initially in yr 1.

PastSellByDate Thu 27-Mar-14 10:51:44

DD2 didn't tackle anything like this until late Y2. (but very poor numeracy curriculum for her cohort).

DD1 started 'playing' with money and discussing shapes & values related to those shapes in Year R. She had a lovely homework with a photocopy of lots of coins(larger than in real life) that she could cut out and paste together to make certain amounts. This seemed to really help.

Coupled with this kind of coin work - it helps to ensure that counting by 2/ 5/ 10 is strong beforehand. Then they can apply this abstract skill to the real life situation of using coins.

We also found letting children pay for small things - like buying ice creams at the park or a chocolate from the corner shop with coins - also really helped to give them practice/ pleasure for using money.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now