Talk

Advanced search

IEP for poor concentration/fidgeting

(9 Posts)
Vudoll Tue 25-Mar-14 12:30:09

DS has had an IEP since YR, and is now in Y3. We have a review meeting in a couple of weeks time, and I'm wondering what/how to phrase the fact that nothing has changed at all since he had the first one, but in a constructive way.

He does struggle masssively with concentrating but we are just hearing the same thing over and over at each meeting, but with no clear idea as to what they are doing to support this changing (what should they be doing? What should I be doing??)

His handwriting has actually deteriorated a lot since he started Y3 as well, which is concerning me as well, and is still reversing some numbers so I need to get that in too.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to make this a productive meeting would be much appreciated.

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 25-Mar-14 14:15:50

has he had any sort of referral to erm anywhere (not sure where a referral would be to) to try and find out if there is a reason for him struggling with concentration? If he has had a problem for over 3 years then one would presume there is a reason causing him to have this problem. it must be exhausting for him.

Does he struggle with concentration in specific lessons or tasks but be ok in others. for example can he concentrate on a jigsaw at home but whenever he is asked to read or write he gets fidgety and struggles? if it is this then I would say they need to look into possible dyslexia, dysgraphia or something like that if he is also showing handwriting and number reversal problems. Does his verbal intelligence seem higher than his 'on paper' intelligence?

Does he have any other problems? I think you ought to be asking for them to look into the cause not just try and treat the symptoms. The poor lad probably has a very good reason for finding it difficult and if they aren't helping you find out what it is then you are going to find it very hard to help him and his progress will be limited.

You could also try your GP and ask for their advice. Or is there a private place near you where if you could find some spare money you might be able to have him assessed privately?

Vudoll Tue 25-Mar-14 14:57:47

Thanks for replying smile

No referral to anywhere else - like you I am wondering where that could be! He absolutely will concentrate on some things but not others, for example a specifc toy, or a tv show and so on. But it does have to be something he is really into. Otherwise not interested and fidgets/changes the subject/doesn't 'listen'. Will draw for ages but rushes things, almost like he's in a hurry to complete it. It's like he is one step ahead of what he is doing at that time iyswim? Like his mind is racing to the next thing.

Regarding reading, he loves it and actually reads very well. Will read for ages in bed. Typical torch under the covers scenarios etc. grin

His verbal intelligence is also high - teacher has confirmed this at other meetings, and is impressed with his imagination, use of language etc. Doesn't stop talking. Much. Which again proves problematic at school.

Agree that we need the cause to be found. Just got no idea what it could be and the school seem happy to just keep him on the IEP with the same things on it for all this time.

Really want to get it addressed at the next meeting as I'm at a complete loss now, and like you say don't want his progress being limited. In his teacher's own words "he is a very able child" and I think he would be doing much much better if we could just nail this.

Vudoll Tue 25-Mar-14 14:58:57

I could take him to the GP's. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford a private assesment, but the doctor's seems a good place to start.

Ferguson Tue 25-Mar-14 18:57:18

I worked with a boy rather like this some years ago; lots of professionals were involved but I don't know if a definitive cause or 'label' was ever agreed.

Would perhaps finding a way to give him more RESPONSIBILITY in class, and at home, be of any help? This might help him to focus on a particular 'job' or activity, and might have the added benefit of making him feel more valued and useful. So, if in class it could be his daily job to distribute resources, and collect them in at the end of a lesson or session, making sure he had them all, and they were still in good condition. Or if he is good at ICT, to have responsibility for loading programs for particular lessons, or setting things up on the 'white 'board'.

(When our DS was Yr6 he used to start up the school network each day, and also taught the HT how to use a new word processor program which we had at home; but that was twenty years ago.)

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 25-Mar-14 19:28:08

I wonder if he is very very bright and fidgets because like you say his brain is already on the next thing. perhaps he isn't feeling suitably challenged at school and therefore switches off. some extremely bright children do that, they zone out and fidget and rush what work they do have but if they are given work at their level then suddenly they stop behaving that way.

Private assessments are very expensive and you shouldn't have to pay for them. I would speak to the GP to make sure you have covered as many things as you can.

do you think you could talk to him about whether he might actually be very unchallenged at school and would prefer more in depth work? that would be something you could then ask the teacher to try with him. otherwise you could ask if perhaps the next time they have an ed psych on the premises they would be able to have a quick look at him to see if he perhaps needs a proper assessment of some sort. They could say no but what have you got to lose.

from what you say though I would expect he is very bright and just bored.

RiversideMum Tue 25-Mar-14 20:35:32

What is his IEP supposed to be changing and moving forward? What are the targets? For a child like you describe, I'd start with the special needs support team for a physical assessment.

Vudoll Tue 25-Mar-14 20:57:28

thanks all, this is all very helpful smile

when you say physical assessment Riverside what does that mean?

Vudoll Tue 25-Mar-14 21:50:42

just realised half my post didn't post!

Riverside it basically says to stop fidgeting and to concentrate. And that's it. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now