Talk

Advanced search

What should a reception child be achieving by end of their reception yr?

(2 Posts)
SafeAsHouses Mon 24-Mar-14 16:24:10

Had parents evening today, was told my DC was doing fine, and that he is on target for achieving the 40-60 months band under the 'development matters' framework.

Was given a few areas to help with numbers / literacy etc, but was essentially told all fine.

I know that reception year runs under the EYFS, so presumably KS1 kicks off beginning yr1, and all they 'need' to acheive is the 40-60month band in reception year?

Apols - I seem slightly clueless but I only really think of these questions long after i've had my 10min slot with teacher! Just want to make sure DC is 'on track' really....

PastSellByDate Mon 24-Mar-14 20:39:49

Hi SafeAsHouses:

Ah yes nothing will ever prepare parents for the foreign language they encounter upon having their first parent/ teacher meetings. And teachers seem full of acronyms which does rather make the whole process impenetrable for the unitiated...

Here's a link from a simple google search re: EYFS for parents: www.devon.gov.uk/eyfs_parents_guide-2.pdf

and if you go to: www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/ - and scroll down a bit there are several parent guides.

----------------------------

So that should help update you on what EYFS is. Basically there are 9 skill levels within each area of EYFS.

I found this simple I Can statement check list for numbers, calculating & counting: www.granby.leicester.sch.uk/PDF/helpingyourchild/Numeracy_EYFS.pdf

I also found: www.yor-ok.org.uk/Workforce/Working%20with%20Children,%20Young%20People%20and%20Families/Early%20Years%20and%20Childrens%20Centres/revised-eyfs-observation-assessment-and-planning.htm - if you scroll down to the bottom you can find "I Can Planning Pro-formas for areas of provision" - if you look on the ones for 40 - 60 months you should get a sense of where you child is doing o.k. or needs more work.

---------------------

Finally - Campaign for Real Education has plain English summaries by curriculum area about what should be happening for a child in a given school year here: www.cre.org.uk/primary_contents.html - just select area of curriculum and then read under appropriate school year.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now