Talk

Advanced search

Deduce, infer and interpret Y2 Literacy

(6 Posts)
Filofax Mon 24-Mar-14 15:56:53

Can anyone help me explain these words to my 7 year old? I'm tying myself up in knots by using further words to explain that he is unfamiliar with. If I can say what his teacher requires him to do in simple terms, I hope he can go on and do it!

MrsKCastle Mon 24-Mar-14 17:18:10

Work out what the writer means by using the evidence (clues) in the text. Sometimes writers don't tell us exactly what they mean e.g. 'He was happy.' They showus by using clues e.g. 'A grin burst across his face.' We then need to put the clues together.

At 7 I wouldn't bother trying to distinguish between the words- I would just lump them all together.

Beastofburden Mon 24-Mar-14 17:19:47

Deduce: work out something new from what's there
Infer: guess what might be true, from what's there
Interpret: explain what's there.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Mon 24-Mar-14 17:22:28

IMO the best help you can give him/her is read nightly with them and get them talking about what they've read and compare them to other books/texts. Sorry for the bold - it's just I find this is an invaluable help. I'm blessed to have a class who adore books and reading and can talk in great detail about their favourite authors, styles of writing, genres, etc. And it really shows in their reading comp.

PastSellByDate Mon 24-Mar-14 17:45:55

Hi Filofax

I was just resource searching resources for DD1 (Y6) - and stumbled across this

www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Af3-Guided-Reading-Question-Spinners-Level-1-8-6265277/

having seen your question earlier I thought this would help.

You can join Times Educational Supplement for free - just put yourself down as a volunteer at a school. Then you can access resources.

HTH

Filofax Tue 25-Mar-14 19:33:51

Many thanks to you all. I'll reread all your posts and look at links; and then have a chat with my DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now