Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Maidenhead

(7 Posts)
catwoman71 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:41:03

I'm moving from London to Maidenhead soon with my 6 yr old son. We have a place at Woodlands Park Primary.
Any comments about the school appreciated.

Silkyandmoonface Mon 24-Mar-14 19:25:30

It doesn't have a wonderful reputation locally. Most Maidenhead primaries are heavily oversubscribed but they only allocated 15 out of 30 available places in reception for Sept 2013.
http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/public/ed_allocation_information_primary_2013.pdf

However, their most recent ofsted was good and recognised the strong leadership and noted it is an improving school. The Ofsted was in the November of 2012 and I think many parents had decided on choices by then so it will probably have more applicants this year.

The updated ofsted data dashboard for the school isn't brilliant but, again, it is a school on the up and I think you'd expect that to improve year on year.

I don't know any children at the school so can't give any personal info -sorry.

I hop you enjoy living in Maidenhead.

Silkyandmoonface Mon 24-Mar-14 19:26:20

www.rbwm.gov.uk/public/ed_allocation_information_primary_2013.pdf

dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk/dash.php?urn=109841

fragolino Mon 24-Mar-14 20:35:47

There are some outstanding amazing Primaries in Maidenhead I would not settle for one that did not have a good report.

The good ones are all around.

I think Lowbrook is near Woodlands and as far as I am aware has an amazing reputation.

Silkyandmoonface Mon 24-Mar-14 21:08:52

The problem is that the op is highly unlikely to get the likes of Lowbrook offered because it is heavily oversubscribed and if a child does leave in year that place would be very quickly filled from the waiting list. Also, although last year it took a bulge year of 60, in year one there are only 30 places all currently filled.
The LA. Can't just magic up a place in year one in an outstanding primary because someone moves to the area! I am sure the op is realistic about that!

fragolino Mon 24-Mar-14 22:56:27

The problem is that the op is highly unlikely to get the likes of Lowbrook

confused

So anyone moving to an area of over subscribed primaries, just has to put up with the crap ones?

Boundairoes are boundairies I am sure she could at least try.

Thewildsofnarnia Mon 24-Mar-14 23:06:20

?? It is the legal process of admissions that schools have to adhere to.
A school wouldn't leave a space in a year one class unfilled ( despite having many applicants for it) incase someone moves to the area a year later!
Of course some children may leave mid year but many outstanding schools in the SE will have a waiting list already. Indeed in this case the Local authority have offered a place in the school that has a place.

It isn't a case of being left 'with the crap schools' but parents moving to a heavily oversubscribed schools area 'in year' must recognise this is an issue. Some parents put off moving because of the problems of getting two or more children into the same school in an over subscribed area let alone an outstanding one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now