Talk

Advanced search

If these were the comments in a school report...

(18 Posts)
lougle Sun 23-Mar-14 22:47:47

What sort of level would the child be working at? What year would you expect them to be in?

English
'tries hard to concentrate'
'with encouragement will offer an opinion'
'understanding of the main points during comprehension activities is developing'
'she is being encouraged to refer to the text...'
'beginning to vary the style of her writing',
'she must check that the language she uses fits in and makes sense.', 'shown that she can punctuate....however does not do so consistently', 'sometimes writes statements instead of sentences.'
'needs to consistently use connectives.'
'trying hard to form her letters carefully and join neatly'.

Mathematics
'DD2 tries hard.'
'She works with an adult when new concepts are introduced'
'...will then try to continue independently'
'usually listens during mental maths...tries to answer questions'
'being introduced to a range of apparatus'
'understanding of addition and subtraction facts to 10 is improving.'
'has experienced working with simple one step word problems. and is being encouraged to select her own practical apparatus....rather than just using fingers.

Personal and Social
'DD2 has experienced working in a variety of situations but benefits from working with a partner or in a group so she can develop her ideas before working independently.'
'Although she sometimes doesn't follow the instructions correctly she will now 'have a go' and not worry.'

I hope that makes sense?

TheGruffalo2 Sun 23-Mar-14 23:23:56

Sorry, it is almost impossible to tell an exact level from the statements. The English statements encompass speaking & listening, reading and writing - all of which could be a different level. Comments like tries hard doesn't actually equate to a level. It does, however, look like the sort of transfer report I receive from other schools with a pupil working at either level 1 or level 2. It does feel that the English is ahead of the maths, but that may be wrong and, reading between the lines, DD needs encouragement to contribute and concentrate.

CocktailQueen Sun 23-Mar-14 23:28:51

Agree w gruffalo.

Also sound to me as if dd is in reception or year 1 as you talk about use of addition and subtraction facts up to 10. Sounds as though dd is struggling to concentrate and follow up on tasks, reading between the lines, and needs quite a bit of help.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 23-Mar-14 23:32:02

Sounds like a child who is struggling a bit. Apart from the trying hard bit (he doesn't try even though hecus capable bwcause he finds concentrating difficult) it could be my year 5 ds s report.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 23-Mar-14 23:33:01

Actually read the content. Properly. Mirevlikevhecwas at year 2/3.

WaterBottleWaterBottle Sun 23-Mar-14 23:37:27

I was thinking late year one, perhaps early year two. But that is basing it on my ds, so not sure.

Galena Mon 24-Mar-14 06:38:25

I've written similar for y3 children who are struggling.

Shamoy Mon 24-Mar-14 07:00:05

I'd guess at a struggling child in yr 2

lougle Mon 24-Mar-14 07:45:31

Thanks, it's interesting to see the variety in the responses. DD2 had a very tricky start to year 2 - lots of anxiety and couldn't engage with learning until mid-January (to the point where she wasn't even following basic instructions correctly). This improved when she was given a nurture group to attend.

Her teacher raises concerns verbally, but her report gives her attainment as 'in line with national expectations' and SENCO says she is 'average', which I just can't see. If those comments relate to an 'average child'in year two, what would the report of a 'below average' child be???

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 24-Mar-14 10:34:22

The literacy could be average for year 2 but the maths does sound below average I'd say.

andsmile Mon 24-Mar-14 10:37:10

there are still positives in there that mean she is struggling but what she does do is enough to maintain her attainment in line with nationa expectations.

eg
understanding main points n text
varying writing (they learn to write different audiences quite explicitly at this stage)
using punctuation accurately and consistently isnt expected to be evident until level 3. If she is in year 2 and beginning to do this then thats good.

Same in numeracy understanding improving and trying to do things for herself after intial help.

She sounds like has been struggling at times BUT is making progress in enough areas to not be of serious concern.

I used to be secondary teacher so Ive kind of read between the lines so Im no expert. BUt I don have DS in year 3 so have been reading up about the writing levels as he needs to improve his.

Did they given you current and target levels?

lougle Mon 24-Mar-14 10:49:52

Thanks, andsmile. They only give a letter grade for attainment (A= above expectations; B=in line with expectations....and so on) and a number grade for effort (1=excellent 2=good...etc.,)

I don't mind what her level is, as long as it's true and accurate. There is no mention at all of the difficulties she has had (is having) and no mention of her nuture group, etc. She has had to work so hard just to turn up each day.

andsmile Mon 24-Mar-14 16:33:22

You do realise that reports are written using software. This means the reacher has bank of statements to chose from. They therefore have to pick which ones most reflect your childs ability, progress, conduct etc.

They are not as personal and they always have to be written in a positive and constructive style. So you are quite right to question and read between the lines. Im very much an open person and down to earth I sometimes want to just say to my DS teacher, c'on tell me what he is really like in class grin I would ask for a quick phonecall with teacher and maybe say you are pleased with the report in that she is reaching average attainments but didnt feel it reflected your child's experiences of late? Would you feel better if you had a chat along those lines? You could always ask what her current levels are literacy (reading and writing) and numeracy and whather targets are.

Otherwise I dont think there is anything in there of serious concern, and sounds like if she continues to make progress and gain confidence you may experience a spurt in her progress or a plataue both are common.

Plus a lot of things click when they reach 7/8 - or so Ive read.

Just support her in developing her confidence.

EleanorRugby Tue 25-Mar-14 12:39:39

Thanks. I think I'm going to go, I suspect it will still be busy but not as busy as if it were an all out strike.

EleanorRugby Tue 25-Mar-14 15:53:13

Oops posted on wrong thread blush

Littlefish Tue 25-Mar-14 19:11:30

Andsmile - reports are not always written using a comment bank. Our school hasn't used them for years.

Lougle - From the comments in your op, and the fact that your dd is in year 2, I would say that her maths skills in particular are below the level required for this point in the year, in order for your dd to reach a level 2b by the end of this academic year.

lougle Tue 25-Mar-14 21:16:49

Thanks Littlefish.

I find it hard to articulate my thoughts without sounding precious. I don't mind if DD2 is behind in any subject if she is doing her best and they are doing their best and that's what she is capable of at this moment in time and her report reflects it.

I do mind her being clearly behind (in my view) and comments that suggest that, once you get past the blurb, her teacher telling me different things she can't do (e.g. count money), then her report saying she's 'average' and the SENCO telling the Ed Psychs that she's 'average' when we meet to discuss her. To me, there needs to be consistency and transparency. It's meant to be a partnership.

I also have the unfortunate situation of being pretty sure what DD2's problem is, but the inability to communicate that in such a way as the teacher can take it on board and can teach DD2 in the way she needs to be taught, given the time and child:staff ratio.

DD2 has always learned explicitly. She's great if you teach her explicitly - she won't forget what she's been taught. However, she won't learn by osmosis (as many children do) and she won't join the dots herself.

An example of that is 'bridging through 10'. DD2 finds this very difficult. When I talked to the SENCO about it, she said 'just keep revising the number-bonds to 10 with her and eventually she'll remember them.' The trouble is, she knows her number bonds to 10 forwards, backwards, inside out. It's not number-bonds that she's lacking. The trouble is that she doesn't realise that 3 being the number bond of 7 means that 3+7=10 because she's been taught that they are the 'number bonds' the 'friends', etc.

She also learns everything in isolation, so she needs to be given the explicit link between each bit of a topic. She can't just 'realise' that she can use her number-bond knowledge to inform bridging through 10. She needs a 'recipe' for the problem, that she can follow step by step until she's learned it by heart.

It's the way I taught her eye-contact ('you look at the lady, you smile, then you can look away'), how to get her stuff out of school (bookbag. Bookbag and water bottle. Bookbag, water bottle, coat)...the list goes on.

She just can't learn by 'experiencing'.

Last week she thought she had jam on her nose because she'd scratched it and it felt sticky (it was blood). Then, she thought she could just wipe away the wound. I had to explain that it would stay until the scab formed, then new skin came. She knows that in terms of her legs and arms - what child gets to 6 without cuts? But she had to relearn that it applied to her nose, too.

andsmile Thu 27-Mar-14 13:54:19

Good that some school have ditched them smile

lougle you sound real caring and observant of your daughter.

There is some evidence to suggest that mental maths ie knowing hte number bonds doesnt alway translate to the same symbolic representations to a child - they are processed and stored differently.

From your last post personally I would:

Teacher Im a bit confused as to where we are at with DD progress as then SENCO said......the report states this .......... but then you have said .........

My DD seems to learn in quite a specific way and isnt always able to transfer knowledge from one context to the other. Then use your example of the bookbag and the nose.

I think you have explained it very well. She does seem to possibly struggle with synthesis and application skills. But she is on the cusp of 7/8 when there is thought to be a cognitive leap in development. (Depends what you read)

You sound like a mum on the ball and hope you are able to make progress with the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now