Talk

Advanced search

(6 Posts)
mrprimary Sun 23-Mar-14 20:05:30

Hi, I've just joined here and am a little surprised at some threads/posts.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but there does seem to be much more negativity than I'd imagined there would be.

Ah well... live and learn eh?

columngollum Sun 23-Mar-14 20:42:32

I can lend you some books on learning how to be negative if you like.

Ferguson Sun 23-Mar-14 22:34:38

I guess it's the 'negative' things that people worry about; if everything is 'great' they don't bother to mention it!

Just as newspapers like to report 'bad' news, but seldom 'good' news.

I was a Teaching Assistant over twenty years in primary, so we may meet again!

juniper44 Mon 24-Mar-14 00:38:30

What do you mean by negativity?

There are many teachers on these forums who answer questions. Teacher who, having worked all day, go out of their way to still answer questions in their free time. Teachers who care how parents see the profession. Teachers who care about the children.

There is bound to be 'negativity' but primarily because teacher work their arses off and parents rarely appreciate it.

PastSellByDate Tue 25-Mar-14 12:52:49

Hi mr primary

Not sure if you're a teacher/ Dad or both.

first off I think you really need to read round a bit to determine if this is all negative.

secondly you need to chose your camp. I'm definitely in the parents camp - in general we are a bit quizzical on the radical change in primaries since my day (admittedly when dinosaur's roamed the earth). I certainly wasn't taught how to add by my Mom, or how to subtract, how to multiply, how to divide, how to blend sounds, how to make joined up letters, what basic grammatical terms (noun/ verb/ adjective/ adverb) mean, what a metaphor or simile means/ antonym or synonym. But with my DDs yours truly has had to do this. The school literally believe that 'children will learn maths in their own time' and 'studies have shown that homework has no benefit at all educationally'.

And that's where Mumsnet is brilliant - we can write here and say

Hey - I don't understand what X means - any ideas?

or - Is it me, but why is there no homework in Year X?

or Does this seem hard to you?

and people (teachers & parents) will give their opinions/ ideas.

Occasionally parents or teachers get on their high horse - and one could use juniper's little post above - as the kind of 'low level' anger syndrome both parents and teachers are guilty of - Of course there are teachers out there that work hard - but golly juniper do you really believe there aren't parents out there who work hard too? 60 hour weeks are normal for most people I know - and unpaid overtime is just par for the course - showing management you're willing to go that extra mile.

There are all sorts of conversations on Mumsnet Education primary/ secondary - but in general worried parents post here for help. As Yoda once advised:

Fear leads to anger

Anger leads to hate

Hate leads to suffering

Teachers often don't explain terminology to parents (who on earth would anyone know what AF6 in reading means if they weren't a teacher? - and why should I have a conversation about how DD1 is doing in reading where terms like that are used rather than an adult conversation where the teacher explains in terms the uninitiated can understand.

Now I'm sure part of this is being a busy teacher, so used to this kind of thing that you don't think about it - but for parents going through this for the first time NC Levels, APP points, AF targets, SPAG, KS1, KS2, etc... are all gobbledygook at first.

Mumsnet gives us a place to moan and at its best is a constructive environment where teachers & parents can make suggestions to each other. Sometimes there are intentionally controversial posts - and regulars have accused people of being a member of the press posting here - but education is rather a political football and from my perspective as a parent - seems very unstable - constantly changing and no united agreement on what should be taught and in what balance.

My experience of the English school system in my small corner of Birmingham has not been a positive one. But my experience of MN has been. And it has been very liberating - it gave me permission to go and do my own thing - which has hugely benefited my DDs who have improved beyond all recognition as students since I got a bit fiesty and starting to ignore the school.

So mrprimary - my advice is be a bit choosy about which posts you read - if you can see it's on an upsetting topic, don't bother. But if it is on a topic where you're interested/ or is of concern for your child - do read posts - you may be surprised at the perspectives, ideas and solutions parents/ teachers have come up with over the years.

HTH

Ferguson Tue 25-Mar-14 19:21:09

For my first three years or so on MN I only looked at Primary Ed, but now do bits of everything, particularly Gardening and Music, and some Geeky stuff.

So if you have particular skills or experience, explore those areas as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now