Talk

Advanced search

Be careful before you go in all guns blazing!!

(4 Posts)
MyFirstName Sun 23-Mar-14 11:48:46

Argggghhhhh......lovely but bloody DD!

DD1 in year 3. Last night she told DH and I that she was "still" on Pink level and that she had not read with her teacher since Sept last year. We were a bit shock and as we have parent's evening tomorrow were going to mention it/have a bit of a concerned word.

In many ways not worried about DD's reading (she was a free reader at her previous school before we moved last summer) and an avid, avid reader. Has read Alice in Wonderland, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables. Gobbles up Dalh, Enid Blighton and more modern books. Loves reading beyond anything.

Slightly worried only that school were not maybe challenging her (she was on the G&T list for her literacy at her last school so being on the same reading level for so long seemed a marked difference IYSWIM).

Just had another quick chat and it turns out - she could take any book in to school that she liked - but to pick the pink/blue ones if she didn't have one (sounds free-read
ry to me) and that actually she goes guided reading once a week with her teacher (several children round a table with the same book taking in turns to read a page out loud and then discuss).

Naturally I am a little blush that DH and I jumped to conclusions and did not probe deeper in the first conversation. And hugely relieved that we did not go in all guns blazing. And have had a chat with DD about how exaggerating (she admitted she had done so in last nights chat) was akin to not telling the truth.

Just a warning to you all grin

<wanders off relieved there is no egg on my face>

Silkyandmoonface Sun 23-Mar-14 13:55:38

This happens a lot smile

Our head (and I know many other heads) always starts the new parents talk with:
'If you try not to believe everything your children say about us, we will try not to believe everything they say about you!'

It sounds like you handled it really well.

Shimmyshimmy Sun 23-Mar-14 20:08:58

It's a delicate balance because I don't believe everything the teachers say either!

Silkyandmoonface Sun 23-Mar-14 22:14:36

Indeed-that works both ways as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now