Talk

Advanced search

Year one phonics tests

(13 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Sat 22-Mar-14 21:19:32

Can someone tell me when they're done? Also, what sort of stuff do they test? Just words and decoding? Also how many do they have to get to pass?
Thanks all, my dd will be doing this and I'd like to know more about them.

MrsKCastle Sat 22-Mar-14 21:23:14

There's a 2 week period in June when the have to be carried out, think it starts around the 16th June. Children must read a list of 40 words. 20 are real words. 20 are non-words, presented as the names of aliens. It is made very clear to the children which words are real and which are not. The pass mark won't be published until after the test, but it has been 32 for the 2 years since the test began.

columngollum Sat 22-Mar-14 21:38:19

Get a sheet of paper

write: drat, brip, scholt, vrolt, thems, brill, craps, brasp, velt, crimps, brisk, thosp, vrogl, spreem, mop, drop, dream, smelt, braggle, vrisp

and any other dire rubbish that you can dream up, ask your daughter to read it and then you'll know all that you need to know.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 21:45:47

The names of the aliens will be phonemically possible in English, so vrolt and vrogl or other implausible words won't be on the list.

It's not exactly pass/fail: it's a screening test to see which pupils may need extra support until they can decode securely.

Randomnames Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:11

The was a lengthy thread this yesterday. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2030380-year-1-phonics-check

columngollum Sat 22-Mar-14 21:57:49

Someone will have to give me a quick refresher on plausible and implausible alien words. It's been a while since I was among aliens.

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 22:01:43

All the word in the test will be phonemically plausible in English (refershers of any other languages, earthly or otherwise, not required).

The unfamiliar words could be billed as alien name, brand names, newly discovered rainforest insects or whatever: label only needs to indicate 'you have not come across this word before'.

columngollum Sat 22-Mar-14 22:05:11

The depth of plausibility being what? CCVCC or words begining with vro?

EdithWeston Sat 22-Mar-14 22:15:56

It would mean only using consonant clusters that appear in natural English words. Can you think if any that start 'vr'? I singled those out because none spring to my mind.

columngollum Sat 22-Mar-14 22:25:42

vroom

Imsosorryalan Sun 23-Mar-14 08:54:44

Thanks, looking online it seems they will generally be gpc words. Can someone give me an example of a word containing this??

mrz Sun 23-Mar-14 09:08:01

gpc = grapheme phoneme correspondence, in other words how speech sounds are written using letters and combinations of letters Imsosorryalan and all words contain these.

mrz Sun 23-Mar-14 09:09:29

www.nonweiler.demon.co.uk/Y1_Phonics_Check.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now