Talk

Advanced search

Nursery friends helping settle at primary?

(11 Posts)
BucketofDinosaurs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:01:19

We are trying to choose which area we would prefer for our next house, and mainly choosing between three areas Area A (at the absolute top of our affordability, but lovely area, great schools, 20 min walk to work; area B (also lovely area, very good primary and secondary schools, a bit further commute about 35 min buseach way), and area C (very affordable, adequate basic primary school and very good secondary, ok bus commute (45 min each way).

I can evaluate all the above criteria but the criterion I don't know the value of is - how helpful is it to a DD to start primary alongside some of the friends she has spent time w at nursery? Because option A would enable that.

Our dd is lucky to be at a lovely private nursery, very unusual and outdoorsy and home like, and I would like her to stay there until primary. Almost all the kids at that nursery go to the school in catchment A.

I am sure kids form new friendships fast, but just wondered how/if those nursery bonds are helpful in smoothing entry to primary? especially since here it seems many people do enter primary with friends from nursery.

I know it's not the only factor though. Just have no idea if a factor at all! She is an only child and rather shy at first so far, which is another reason I wonder if having a few friends make the move to school w her might be helpful. But I don't really know.

ShoeWhore Sat 22-Mar-14 21:03:44

I don't think it made a massive amount of difference tbh. (Have experienced both)

petalunicorn Sat 22-Mar-14 21:06:14

My ds didn't actively play with the other children from his preschool but when he was asked who he wanted to be in his class in year 1 he said them so I think they must have given him some comfort.

My dd did like having friends from preschool around BUT I think she would have been fine without, her best friends now are other children she didn't know.

Not a big factor I don't think. In a way more important for you to have some parent network already established if you need a hand with pickup/homework/knowing what's going on etc.

ShoeWhore Sat 22-Mar-14 21:06:54

Our school takes children from 2 settings though so no one knows absolutely everyone. It might be harder if everyone else already knew each other.

I know quite a few people who only moved here as their youngest started school too and they were all fine. Not only are friendships quite fluid at that age but school staff are good at ensuring everyone is included in a game.

LIZS Sat 22-Mar-14 21:07:02

I wouldn't hinge such a significant change on a few nursery friends. What if they all move or choose other schools anyway.

BucketofDinosaurs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:07:23

Thanks Shoe. Good to hear.

If we chose option b or c, we would try to find opportunities for dd to get to know some kids going to her local primary. Could be enough.

BucketofDinosaurs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:17

Good point re parent network Petal - hadn't thought of that. I do particularly value those links because we don't have family nearby, so parent friends are particularly handy and treasured. Actually that may be more of an argument for option A, come to think of it!

JabberJabberJay Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:46

I don't think it makes much difference.

My DD knew no one in her Reception class. She made lots of friends quickly and settled in brilliantly.

Galena Sat 22-Mar-14 21:11:00

DD is in Reception at a school where most went from the linked preschool, but DD had been at another. She has lots of friends - one very good friend who she didn't know before school.

I wouldn't worry too much.

BucketofDinosaurs Sat 22-Mar-14 21:29:38

Thanks all. Glad to know it's not an issue.

beanandspud Sun 23-Mar-14 21:27:08

Don't worry would be my advice, choose the school that is right for DC.

DS went to a private nursery until Reception and then went to a school without any of his nursery friends. Everyone else went to schools A, B or C and he went to D.

Even worse, when he got there almost all of the children had come from the school nursery - there were only 3 children in Reception that were 'new'.

By week 2 he was settled and now you would never know that he was the newbie. The teachers were fantastic at helping him to make friends and whilst we've had a few wobbles it has been good for him.

We keep in touch with a couple of nursery friends but the majority have moved on and that's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now