Talk

Advanced search

A couple of questions about levelling writing

(1 Post)
childwrangler Fri 21-Mar-14 12:31:01

When a piece of writing is being levelled does the writing have to be completed within a certain time (teacher's time notwithstanding)?

The background is that DD is a slow writer and her teacher is getting frustrated that she can't level DD's work properly, in her words "it starts brilliantly, is punctuated beautifully and then stops".

we're in a British curriculum school overseas, DD is Y2. For year 1 we home schooled because we couldn't get a school place; during that time her reading progressed brilliantly, her writing didn't. I noticed that DD freezes when given anything remotely creative to do. She can create stuff if it just comes to her but when she gets given a brief it takes her a long time to get going. Whether it's lack of imagination, fear of getting things wrong, just taking time to warm up - I don't know.

I'm going to see her teacher on Sunday and ask to see DD's latest piece of work. She's really proud that she managed to write over half a page in 40 minutes (a big improvement!) and her teacher wasn't impressed. Is there any reason why DD can't be given a bit more time to complete some work in order try and get her over this hump?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now