Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you recommend your location?

(16 Posts)
Decisionsagain Thu 20-Mar-14 21:30:43

Hi there,

Dh and I are brainstorming. We have four very young children and at the moment life is just one school run. We have children at the pre-school, the infant school and the junior school. And soon ds will be going into the seniors. Plus we have no sixth form so that will be a possible fifth car run.

Oh to have a primary school where they can all go. And a great secondary/grammar school with a sixth form nearby. I have another 18 years of this school run. It's painful and I'm not sure I want to spend 18 years like this.

Plus we are spending a fortune in rent as we are in a pricey area 2500£ for a 5 bed house. It won't be possible to get a mortgage here unless we win the lottery.

SO - do you have the solution for me? A great primary school with a great senior option with possible access to London for work. And which is cheaper than Surrey/Bucks?

I'm not sure I will ever have the nerve to pull the plug on the children's lives here unless we really believe it's going to be a good move. Should I just accept this is life and get on with it - for 18 years?

spanieleyes Thu 20-Mar-14 21:45:35

we have a primary school, so 4-11, with a pre school the other side of the car park. It's a grammar school area ( although not ultra selective so a reasonable intelligent child has a good chance!) Train is an hour and a half to London so possibly a little far but a 5 bedroom house would cost around £250,000!
Try South Lincolnshire!

007licencetospill Thu 20-Mar-14 22:26:25

Eynsham?

007licencetospill Thu 20-Mar-14 22:34:51

Kids can just walk themselves to secondary school as its in eynsham.

angelcake20 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:25:38

In our middle sized town the kids walk to primary on their own from Yr 5 and take themselves to secondary, even if it's half way across the county. We wouldn't consider any secondary that they couldn't reach under their own steam.

Merefin Fri 21-Mar-14 14:28:45

East Hampshire. Trains to London in an hour. Very good schools. Good public transport to the secondary schools and local 6th forms.

No one is doing a school run after age 11... DCs are on the bus or the train.

Menolly Fri 21-Mar-14 16:05:35

I wouldn't recommend where I live (Maidstone) as the state primaries here imo are not good enough.

But my Mum and Dad live in Tonbridge, primary schools are brilliant, infants and juniours are on the same site, some have preschool's on site, other preschools are in the town center so easy to get to, all the secondary schools have 6th forms, there's a college, and the Grammar schools and normal secondary schools are brilliant so there's plenty of options whether they pass 11+ or not. public transport to the schools is brilliant and the town is small enough that most are walkable, Tunbridge Wells secondaries/grammars are all pretty easy to get to by bus as well so even more options.

Trains to London take about 50 minutes.

My parents have 5 school age kids now, 2 at 2 different grammars, 1 at secondary and 2 at primary, school run is about 25 minutes by car (including Dad dropping the older ones out by their schools and going home having dropped them off) so 50 minutes of the day which is less than I do with 1 kid. At one stage they had 7 of us at 6 different nurseries/schools/colleges and school runs still only took 45 minutes.

bluewisteria Sat 22-Mar-14 15:03:16

Kilmington/shute primary schools, followed by Colyton grammar (top ten schools in the country) or excellent non selective state secondary in Lyme Regis, Woodruff I think it is called?
Train from Axminster to London Waterloo is 3 hrs, there is also the Paddington line which is quicker depending on where in London you need to be. Would be hard full time commuting, but if working from home part of the week then you could do it.

House prices are such you could buy a 5 bedroom for that kind of monthly payment or pay a lot less, rents there are falling.

HolidayCriminal Sat 22-Mar-14 15:08:03

Most small market towns would do you, OP; just make sure it's on trainline to places with 6th forms.

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Mar-14 00:54:34

No-one gets a place at Colyton! Wildly oversubscribed! Try Waddesdon in North Bucks. Top class secondary, primary and bus to grammars in Aylesbury. Rental should be cheaper.

bluewisteria Sun 23-Mar-14 12:22:34

One third of children from Kilmington and one third from shute primary schools did go to Colyton... And another third went to Woodruff...
The good local primaries have all said they get about a third of their children in each year, they have to pass the exam but with a third success rate it is by no means impossible.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 23-Mar-14 12:24:26

Why are you being such a martyr. Surely in most (admittedly not all) situations by secondary school they are able to get themselves there. I'm stunned you foresee taking a sixth former to school.

HercShipwright Sat 29-Mar-14 23:25:17

millymollymama 120 kids get places at Colyton every single year. It's not wildly oversubscribed either - there's usually roughly 4 applicants for every place, compared to say Tiffins in London which have thousands of kids applying.

shimmymummy Sat 29-Mar-14 23:38:00

Try Reading? Easy commute to London if you live somewhere like Caversham - schools good - some have preschools attached, state and grammar have 6th forms and 3 outstanding nurseries within 3 minutes walk of the train station.

Glossolalias Sun 30-Mar-14 18:11:26

Why are you planning to take your DS to secondary school? Is there no alternative public transport/walking?

clary Sun 30-Mar-14 19:17:41

yy how far away is the secondary? WHy can't they walk/cycle/bus/train there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now