Talk

Advanced search

DS Year 4 - untidy writer, neatess doesnt come naturally!!!!!!

(8 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Wed 19-Mar-14 13:42:10

Has always had a dis-like for writing but not as much as when he was younger, he would fret about school but now takes it in his stride although he still hates the "chore" of writing and his writing 9 times out fo 10 is untidy.

He CAN write neatly but it doesnt come naturally to him.

He has job share teachers - one says try your hardest but youre a boy and your content is great...the other goes ballistic and shouts him down

pimmsgalore Thu 20-Mar-14 13:45:36

Not much help but my DS was like this last year and now in yr5 it has suddenly, since Christmas, clicked. His writing and comprehension levels have all gone up over 2 sub levels in 3 months due to them actually being able to read what he writes. Tell him to hang in there and keep working hard on it and he will get there in the end grin

cingolimama Fri 21-Mar-14 08:48:17

Watching this thread with interest as I've got the same problem. Nice to hear about your DS pimm - gives me hope!

NigellasDealer Fri 21-Mar-14 08:50:13

a teacher 'goes ballistic' about messy handwriting? really?

ffs what is wrong with these people, the boy will be using a keyboard anyway for work, later studies etc.

angelcake20 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:21:33

Yr4 DD is the same but here it's me that is terribly stressed about it whereas the school seem pretty unconcerned. She finds it so hard to physically get the words down (spelling is not great either) that she can hardly remember what she was trying to say by the end of a sentence and will not even bother trying to get anything more than the bare minimum written. However, when she can concentrate on handwriting rather than anything else, it can look fine. School don't think she's bad enough for any of the booster groups. Hope it clicks soon; DS, though still not neat, could write better in Yr 2 so I don't see it as a gender thing.

tadpole39 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:33:48

Hi op, my son changed schools at year three, his previous school always complained about his handwriting and we practised at home. He was at the new school for 1 term when I got a call from the senco, apparently his poor handwriting is quite an issue at this stage because it takes him so long to produce a small amount of writing that he cannot demonstrate understanding of grammar, syntax etc. he was given a lap top for classroom use and referred to an occupational therapist. His level of frustration is greatly reduced and he is proud of the stories he writes. The ot assessment showed areas that he needs help with and he will continue with treatment. I am very grateful to the school for their input, everyone is happier!

dalziel1 Fri 21-Mar-14 16:24:39

Have you considered / discounted dysgraphia? See this other thread from today http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2030439-Could-this-be-Dysgraphia

derektheladyhamster Fri 21-Mar-14 16:27:23

my son is in yr 6 now, and in the last 3 months his handwriting is 100% better than it was. I never would have thought it possible when he was in yr 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now