Talk

Advanced search

SATs practice books

(7 Posts)
gleegeek Wed 19-Mar-14 13:07:15

Hi

Dd is due to sit KS2 SATs in May. She is beginning to get nervous, but her school haven't started any preparations so it's the thought of them, rather than the actuality. Anyway, I had a look in WH Smiths at the various SATs books available and ended up confused!

Could anyone recommend which books are worth getting/not getting please? I don't want to do masses of high-pressured revision, but I would like dd to have a chance to get used to the way the tests are laid out and the type of questions she might get.

Thanks

maillotjaune Wed 19-Mar-14 14:28:51

Can I ask why you want her to do this? SATs are not there to give your child a grade like an A level - really it's about assessing the school's performance.

Our school started some practice in January and actually I'd be impressed if they'd left it until March, and used some of the timetable for more creative education.

Secondaries generally make their own assessment of levels, I believe.

Shimmyshimmy Wed 19-Mar-14 14:56:08

You are very lucky that your school has not started drilling for Sats - it's been pretty much full on for my dc since Sept. Their secondary will set based on the teacher's assessment and a Cats test. The Sats test is for the school league tables and as far as I can see there's no need to get your dc to practice for them at home.

gleegeek Wed 19-Mar-14 15:02:03

Thanks for your answers.

Tbh, I'd rather dd didn't have to sit SATs at all! However, she is a very sensitive soul, given to panic in unfamiliar situations so I'd like to take her through the layout and show her that it's similar to what she's been doing at school but just with different vocabulary/organisation etc. I know that faced with a formal 'test' which she has little to no experience of would be hugely stressful, so if I can give her the tools to help handle it then I'd like to.

Shimmyshimmy Wed 19-Mar-14 15:19:38

I think you should talk to her teacher, I'd be surprised if the school are not running through a few mock Sats, also our school do a breakfast club on the week of the Sats tests to help settle the dcs.

mummy1973 Wed 19-Mar-14 15:30:32

Speak to the teacher rather than spend your money. They will be doing some practice I have no doubt!

maillotjaune Wed 19-Mar-14 16:12:49

Yes it may just be that the school downplays it, so the normal comprehension work etc is seen as just another literacy lesson but actually it's in the SATs format.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now