Talk

Advanced search

Teachers ...

(18 Posts)
SamandCat Sun 16-Mar-14 22:17:42

Please could you give me some idea what age and level these sums would be suitable for (written (ie not mental maths)to be solved by partitioning
62+12
15+12
36+11
56+23
64+21
42+34
21+25
45+32
I know it may not be possible to say exactly and it depends on circumstances etc, but just taking it at face value, a rough idea.3
Many thanks in advance

MrsKCastle Mon 17-Mar-14 07:33:33

I'd say Y2, level 2.

Disclaimer- I teach older ks2, but those are too easy for level 3.

Ruprekt Mon 17-Mar-14 07:35:13

End of y2 to y3.

LittleMissGreen Mon 17-Mar-14 08:55:10

DS2 is working around this level, so I think about 2b ish.

joosiewoosie Mon 17-Mar-14 08:58:32

Agree with above.
To make them any higher than L2, the units ( and/or tens) would need to add to more than 9, therefore crossing the tens ( or hundred) boundary and requiring exchange.

SamandCat Mon 17-Mar-14 08:59:33

So, the scenario is this.I went to parents evening and the teacher said Dd was currently at 3a in maths teacher assesment and confirmed by test, but she wanted to push herself to get up to level 4 by may.
The next day she moved DD down a group in maths and this is typical of the work she is doing.She is an 'old' year 4 and is complaining the work is too easy in the new group.

melonribena Mon 17-Mar-14 09:04:43

I teach y2. These sums, without the need to bridge ten and within 100, and not using all 4 operations would be completed by children working at about a 2c

redskyatnight Mon 17-Mar-14 12:17:41

(not a teacher) but they sound too simple for a child working at 3a. Was it a case of revising a previous topic with the idea that they will move onto harder problems?

pointythings Mon 17-Mar-14 13:24:23

That's shockingly bad communication by the teacher - I'd ask politely for a meeting to clarify what the plan actually is.

ipadquietly Mon 17-Mar-14 19:14:39

Would concur with melon. Our lower set Y2 class, with most children working at 2C are doing this, and they do cross the tens!

AbbyR1973 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:29:20

DS1 in year 1 working with year 2 would be able to do those mentally using partitioning/ place value. His report last week said he is 2a.

SamandCat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:37:01

I'll see how it goes this week,Today they did no maths at all , they were busy doing something secret (it will be easter cards) all day.

MrsKCastle Mon 17-Mar-14 21:38:55

Oh dear. Something really does NOT add up here! Are you sure the teacher didn't mean 2a, needs to be pushed to 3? What have her levels been reported as previously?

I am (desperately!) trying to push 3a children up to a 4 by May, and I can tell you now that those sums are way,way too easy for that level. Even if they were given as quickfire mental maths questions, I'd want them to cross the tens boundary- and I'd also be doing decimal questions e.g. 6.4 + 7.9.

For level 4 written methods, they need to be using HTU, crossing tens and hundreds boundary and working with decimals.

Go back and ask for clarification!

SamandCat Mon 17-Mar-14 22:33:37

Definitely working at 3a which hasn't actually gone up at all since the end of Y3.And in Y2 she was L3
This evening I wrote down 147+44+26 and she said without writing anything down '200 add 17 is 217' so I think she understands addition quite well. Although I am wondering whether she does too much in her head and perhaps the teacher is trying to instil the discipline of writing down workings.

SamandCat Mon 17-Mar-14 22:35:32

Also it is a small rural school and there are only 13 children in her (rather low ability) class so the teacher should really know the children quite well.

MrsKCastle Tue 18-Mar-14 00:33:21

You may be right and she is supposed to be focusing on how to record/set out written calculations, but if so that should have been made clear to the child. And even then, I'd expect to see a handful of practice questions before moving on to a more appropriate level.

I still say go back and check- ask what your DD's targets are. She should be able to tell you exactly what she needs to work on- especially in a class of 13!

melonribena Tue 18-Mar-14 08:17:33

Sam, I understand what you are saying about giving her easy ones so she can practice the written methods.

I do this with my class. However, although we start with easy ones to 'get them into the process' I quickly ramp up the complexity so they'd only do 2/3 easier ones before moving onto ones that fitted their level of work.

Also, those sums are way too easy. I might give those to start off the children working at a 2b, but they would not be appropriate for children any higher than that.

With your child being a l3 in y2, it seems to me that she would have been completing sums of that level in y1.

melonribena Tue 18-Mar-14 08:18:55

What was the level of work like before she moved down?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now