Talk

Advanced search

Is it common for sat booster groups for achievers to get a level 5/6 not to boost those on level 3?

(20 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Fri 14-Mar-14 17:43:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SapphireMoon Fri 14-Mar-14 17:51:21

Mmm...
Perhaps you need to question teacher more.
I bet there is some pushing to get children to 4b too.
Surprised if there isn't.
SATs are a complete pain in the bum...

Silkyandmoonface Fri 14-Mar-14 18:48:48

Boosting tends to happen where children are in danger of not making the 2 (minimum) expected levels of progress between y2and y6. So if a child achieved a L1 in reading in y2 then achieving L3 is acceptable (not great in terms of progress-but ok). If a child achieved a l3 in y2 but was around a 4a at this stage in y6 then I would expect some definite boosting going on in the Hope of getting that child to aL5! Otherwise they would be deemed not to have made expected progress.

of course most schools are aiming for above expected progress now so going for the high Level 4s/5s even for those on 2c/2b in y2 so I would expect a lot more targeted support to be going on now.
And of course with level 6 s now being expected of the top level 3s in y2 boosting will be going on at that end too!

What level did your child agent in y2 in the subject she is now a 3c/b in? If she was a 1 then ok. If she was a 2c then I would expect some heavy duty one-to-one to be happening now.

moldingsunbeams Fri 14-Mar-14 19:03:00

cece Fri 14-Mar-14 19:05:14

Where I work we have booster groups for those aiming a 4, 5 and 6. Hence I don't get a lunch break at the moment. Madness.

PurpleAlert Fri 14-Mar-14 19:06:34

Our boosters are mostly for those teetering on 3a/4c.

But we have groups for the higher achievers too- One for level 4/5 and one for level 6.

Millais Fri 14-Mar-14 19:07:28

cece Fri 14-Mar-14 19:10:09

I don't eat biscuits either. sad

That's for maths and reading at the moment. Then I suppose we'll need to do some for writing after the sats week. Sigh.

Pooka Fri 14-Mar-14 19:10:11

We have booster groups for levels 5/6 and for 3/4.

Generally aiming to get the level 3s to a secure 4, or secure 5s to have a shot at 6.

The level 5/6 kids have an hour a week in a group of about 10. The level 3/4 kids have I think 2 hours a week in groups of 2 or 3 (and some have one to one).

reup Fri 14-Mar-14 19:13:25

I posted about this before. My son struggles and is getting no extra help. They are doing after school groups for level 6. At parents eve I asked about it and they said the groups are only for those underachieving. I was so shocked at this lie I didn't question it. I did notice that have wildly overinflated my sons writing level so it looks like he has made 2 levels. That's the only bit the school mark so I expect they hope they aren't moderated. I wish I could dob them into someone!

Every school is different I have a friend who teaches y6 and runs booster groups for all. But some schools are solely interested in data and how good it makes them look.

ShellyF Fri 14-Mar-14 19:13:56

We do for both.

spanieleyes Fri 14-Mar-14 19:14:21

We have booster groups for "level 3 aiming for level 4" and "level 4 aiming for level 5". The "Level 5 aiming for level 6 'ers" have asked if I can run an after school club for them!

Millais Fri 14-Mar-14 19:16:32

reup Fri 14-Mar-14 19:20:08

I dont wholely blame the schools, they have to play the ofsted/league tables game. But the result is that some high achieving kids acheieve higher grades (which weren't even a regular thing a few years ago) but my child can't consistently punctuate a sentance, write legibly or spell many simple words.

moldingsunbeams Fri 14-Mar-14 20:12:33

ReallyTired Fri 14-Mar-14 20:16:53

Secondary schools ignore the SATs results and re test. I find the pressure put on young children horrendous. Anyone would think they are sitting their GCSEs.

woodlands01 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:04:50

While secondary schools may retest students do not think they ignore KS2 SATs results. Secondary schools are measured on progress from KS2 to KS4 which means KS2 SATS to GCSE. Most (successful) schools will based students targets on primary school SATs levels. Setting at secondary school is generally based on a combination of primary school SATs and schools retesting results.

HolidayCriminal Sat 15-Mar-14 08:01:11

Lots of reports on MN about kids of all ability levels in special SATs drilling classes.
L6 is very bad to get in y6 in my mind, because it sets such high targets for GCSEs. Maybe ok if your child rises to a challenge, bad if they're prone to anxiety.

Feenie Sat 15-Mar-14 11:12:36

I don't think it does - high level 5s have to get A* and so level 6s have to get....A*! Not sure it makes a difference.

pointythings Sat 15-Mar-14 12:26:57

Feenie has a point, and I would add that it really depends on what the secondary does with them - whether they think: 'oh well, they'll do fine' and just let them get on with them or really work with them - not pushing ahead faster necessarily but having high expectations and doing things that give them wider and deeper learning.

DD2's primary does booster classes, consolidation classes and the whole lot. It's all voluntary, there are biscuits and everyone seems to enjoy them. The school needs to do well in SATs this year, they got a bad OFSTED last year and the last Yr6 cohort didn't do well - they were the first post going 2-tier to do SATs in that school so inexperience had something to do with it, they were also a tricky group. DD's group are above average and the teachers are using last year's experience to get them reaching their potential but without stressing them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now