Talk

Advanced search

Bored 5 year old causing trouble in Reception

(14 Posts)
DingbatsFur Fri 14-Mar-14 13:15:18

Hi Folks,
My 5 year old DS is having issues with school. He is in Reception/P1.
He is in the top groups at the class and apparently after he finishes his work he disrupts the class or on occasion doesn't do the work because he doesn't feel like it. The teacher stated that when she found he wasn't doing a piece of work she would ask him why, and he would simply say that he didn't feel like doing it now. He then would do the work quite happily in his free time or at home (has happened once).
While we're perfectly willing to accept that his behaviour is unacceptable (such a nice way of saying he's acting like a kn0b) , I wonder if he isn't bored and that's why he's doing it.
The work he brings home he does easily and he's a smart kid (no I do not believe he is gifted). I was thinking of working with him more at home to progress his reading to a point where he can read at a much higher level on his own and then could amuse himself quietly rather than disrupting the teacher. Or frankly due to similar issues in the past I'm considering attempting to switch him to a school where the work would be harder and of a higher standard.
Any ideas folks? He's normally a pleasant little boy but does have a tendency to act up to get attention.
Thanks!

NancyJones Fri 14-Mar-14 13:32:37

I think most reception teachers are used to a massive range of attainment with each years cohort. Some children will be reading on entry whilst others will not yet be recognising all their letters. He/she would need to be a pretty poor teacher not to be differentiating to this range.

Have you spoken to the teacher? Are you sure the work isn't challenging at all? A lot of what is sent home at this stage is just consolidation of what they've covered in class so it may be that he's bright, is picking is up quickly in class and is therefore able to replicate this at home. Or it may well be that he is coasting through but you really need to have a proper discussion with the class teacher about where he's at.

Also keep in mind that Reception is about so much more than academic attainment and that his behaviour is common in his year group especially with the boys. It's not because they're bored but rather because they are still maturing and adjusting to the structure of the school day. Learning to apply themselves to tasks set is all part of the EYFS framework and what early years is all about. However, if the naughtiness is preventing him from accessing the curriculum then you need to work with his class teacher to put in place strategies to curb it. He/she will have seen it all before.

DingbatsFur Fri 14-Mar-14 16:47:32

Thanks NancyJones!
I do believe there is an element of immaturity at play here. He is a younger child and used to being the baby of the family. So it could be that he is still adjusting to being in school.
It is the teacher who has told us he is in all her top groups in the class. He has no issues with doing the work they send home or the work they give him at school. A lot of it is what he has done independently before (putting things in order, cutting , pasting and colouring).
This feedback was given at a parent teacher interview my DH has this week, but there didn't appear to be any suggestions for anything we can do to help improve his behaviour. I am going to try and talk to her next week to get some further insight on what I can actually do to help the problem.

NancyJones Fri 14-Mar-14 20:04:55

Yes, do that ! There is no point in the teacher pointing out issues without putting forward strategies for you all to work together to make things better for your DS. A good teacher will tell you what they've tried and what they might try next. They will also suggest how you can help so your DS knows where he stands and that you're all on the same page.

Just to be clear, I have many years teaching experience and naughty behaviour at this age is not necessarily indicative of naughty behaviour throughout school; far from it. It is simply that they have not matured enough to fit in with the formalities of Sch. And even though the EYFS is far less formal than other years, there are still a lot of demands on their concentration. Obviously it's best to tackle it gently and not ignore it but try not to worry about it too much.

When you speak to the teacher, try to find out how she feels he's doing with the level of work set. It may bd that she's trying to boost his confidence by keeping it at a level he finds easy. This is a common tactic but only used for a short time to achieve its goal. As a general rule at his age he should be finding 80% 'doable' and 20% challenging.
Good luck!

Lizziewarmington Sat 15-Mar-14 07:26:35

Learning through play; how can he be bored ?

HolidayCriminal Sat 15-Mar-14 07:50:05

What Lizzie said.^

does have a tendency to act up to get attention.

I think that's the real problem, and it's a pain, sympathies. Middle-DS is like this. Very exhausting. I have NO IDEA what people do that successfully sorts it short of active abuse.

DingbatsFur Sat 15-Mar-14 11:30:03

They are not so much learning through play. This is structured work. We are in NI and school here starts at 3. DS2 is in P1 so his first proper year of schooling. He didn't enjoy the free play last year but seems happier now there is a defined schedule.

Will talk to the teacher and see how he's doing and what strategies are in place. Thanks NancyJones!

MuffTheMagicDragonButter Sat 15-Mar-14 11:42:16

We're in NI too, and when we looked round primary schools it felt so formal compared to the chaos and fun of preschool. DD will be only just 4 when she starts, and I'm wondering about the same things, how do they remain interested all day?

Euphemia Sat 15-Mar-14 18:25:19

I was going to ask if he was Reception or P1 - they're quite different.

I teach P1 in Scotland - I echo speaking to the teacher. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

mrz Sat 15-Mar-14 19:17:23

www.nicurriculum.org.uk/docs/foundation_stage/UF_web.pdf

Meglet Sat 15-Mar-14 19:30:15

DS was a pest in reception, despite doing well. I was dreading the years ahead TBH.

As soon as he started Y1, and more structured work, he stopped mucking around, it was like a switch was clicked. He is in Y2 now, works above average levels and behaves beautifully.

Learning through play in reception and free flow must be very repetitive for kids who have spent 4yrs at nursery doing experiments, playing with water, balancing etc.

WalkingThePlank Sun 16-Mar-14 08:27:30

My son is one of the more able in his class. He can finish the work quickly, in fact races to be first. He also plays up a bit. This isn't because he is bored or because the teacher is failing to challenge him. Plenty of bright children do not play up. I would say that my soon is immature (amongst youngest in year) and doesn't understand how his actions impact on others which we and the school are working on but to some extent we need his emotional development to catch up. I don't think changing school would change that aspect of him.

SamandCat Sun 16-Mar-14 10:36:02

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.the bottom line is that he has to learn to do as he is told at school!!

DingbatsFur Sun 16-Mar-14 22:43:05

Cheers Samcat! That is what we are trying to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now