Talk

Advanced search

Dd ill for second time in 2 weeks - what happens now?

(10 Posts)
whojamaflip Thu 13-Mar-14 06:54:27

Dd has been throwing up all night - every 15mins or so, not even keeping water down hmm So obviously is not going to school today.

Trouble is she was poorly with a bug last week as well - high temp and viral reaction rash so was off last thurs and fri too.

I'm going to get questions asked aren't I? An I likely to get a visit? Her attendance is usually very good and she's working beyond her targets in class. She's year 3 btw.

I do have 2 other children who will be going to school today so its not as if anyone can say we are having a long weekend off.

Do I need to expect a knock at the door or a letter about this?

BloominNora Thu 13-Mar-14 06:57:08

Probably not, especially if she usually has good attendance. But, if you do so what? You explain the illness - the other children are in school so its not like they'll think you are on holiday hmm

pointythings Thu 13-Mar-14 08:54:51

I doubt you'll get a visit, especially as your other children may well get it too and will need time off - it'll be obvious you have a bug raging through your family.

And even if you do, bin the letter and smile and nod if they visit. Your child is ill, end of story. I hate it that some schools have become so draconian about attendance that parents with genuinely ill children live in fear. I hope your school is sensible.

Menolly Thu 13-Mar-14 09:05:11

tbh I think the school will just be glad you haven't sent a vomiting child in to spread it to everyone else. if her attendance is generally good I doubt they'll question it.

Driveway Thu 13-Mar-14 09:07:19

Nobody is going to notice if a child has time off two weeks in a row!

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 13-Mar-14 09:08:56

You keep her off and tell the truth.

Stop worrying!

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 13-Mar-14 09:10:01

She will have to stay off tomorrow too.

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Mar-14 09:12:14

If your child is that ill then they need to stay home. Absence patterns are looked at. If a child was off every week then school would worry. If overall attendance was very low then they would worry. At that age kids do pick up bugs.
If you are worried then send a note being specific about the reasons for absence (no schools want a child in with a raging temp, throwing up or with a viral rash). Keep a copy.

Technical Thu 13-Mar-14 09:27:03

Attendance is monitored an a rolling 12 weeks, so for the current period her attendance is likely to look poor and you may well get a letter.

I think it's very unlikely any other action will be taken if her attendance before and after is good though.

whojamaflip Thu 13-Mar-14 16:26:36

Thanks all - just hate all the pressure to have kids in school.

Have spoken to school and advised that she won't be in until Monday and apparently there is a sickness bug rampaging through the school and some of the classes have a third of the children off shock

So feeling a bit calmer now - just the wait until the others get it - we had Norovirus in the Autumn term and it went through the house like wildfire!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now