Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does language teaching become compulsory in Primary schools in September?

(8 Posts)
VikkiLondon Wed 12-Mar-14 12:38:24

Am I right in thinking that all schools will have to teach a foreign language from September? I read it somewhere but it's all gone rather quiet...has the legislation been passed? Thanks....smile

ReallyTired Wed 12-Mar-14 12:59:51

Its been complusory in key stage 2 for a long time. The only problem is the standard of MFL teaching in primary schools is often utterly crap.

VikkiLondon Wed 12-Mar-14 13:49:47

So what was all the fuss about? I'm confused! I thought that was why my daughter's school was thinking of doing the Junior Language Challenge...

AmberTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 14:57:25

It's not currently compulsory (there was talk of making it so a couple of years ago, but it didn't happen), but yes, it will be compulsory from KS2 from Sept.

NigellasDealer Wed 12-Mar-14 15:00:01

well that will be a joke then - my children 'did' french for years sadly it just seemed to be the same few basic lessons repeated ad nauseam.

what a total waste of time, and such a shame as the opportunities at that age are huge.

AmberTheCat Wed 12-Mar-14 15:53:05

The new curriculum should help with that. It states that 'Teaching may be of any modern or ancient foreign language and should focus on enabling pupils to make substantial progress in one language.'

It doesn't define what is meant by 'substantial progress', but it at least sets an expectation that it should be more than just giving children a taster.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239042/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_Languages.pdf

Hoppinggreen Wed 12-Mar-14 16:45:17

They do it from year 4 but many schools don't actually have a teacher who speaks a foreign language, or they claim to at interview and then in fact can hardly speak a word.
At my DD's school the teacher was using internet printouts to try and teach French with no idea how to pronounce anything!!
I go in voluntarily once a month to so it myself.

VikkiLondon Thu 13-Mar-14 22:20:21

I've been finding more out about the Junior Language Challenge. My interest in compulsory language stemmed from my daughter's school thinking about doing the JLC. From the organiser, EuroTalk's website.......... "Schools with 10 or more children completing the first round will receive a year’s free subscription to EuroTalk’s online language learning software, to supplement National Curriculum language training within their school."

With the type of language training described by visitors to this thread, surely that's a good offer? I've had a look at one of their programmes and it is appealing.... Also it seems all monies raised from the £5.00 entry fee goes to www.onebillion.org.uk. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now