Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book recomendations for a good butreluctant reader age 8

(20 Posts)
stoopstofolly Wed 12-Mar-14 11:34:43

I've had a look on the mumsnet book section, but nothing inspired me. DD is 8, year 3 and a good confident reader (assessed level 3a recently). However, at the moment she'd always rather do something anything other than read. I'm looking for some book recomendations for independant reading that will inspire her. Books she's loved recently have been, "Suddenly The Milk" by Neil Gaiman, "Otteline" books by Chris Riddell and "A Boy and a Bear in a Boat". She's reading "Oliver and the Seawigs" at the moment and quite liking it. She didn't like those fairy magic books that I thought would be a winner to my relief. Any suggestions please? smile

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 12-Mar-14 11:38:49

Jacqueline Wilson.
It's all my 8yo dd reads, ever.

LydiaLunches Wed 12-Mar-14 11:40:57

Percy Jackson novels, I like them too!

mummy1973 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:43:16

Animal Ark, Mr Gum, Dick King Smith, Enid Blyton?

stoopstofolly Wed 12-Mar-14 11:57:15

Ohh.. Hadn't thought of Jacqueline Wilson- thought she was for older children but a quick google shows she covers a range if ages! I wondered about Percy Jackson/ Artemis Fowl/ Harry Potter but thought she might be a bit young- I don't want to discourage her but I'll give them a go.
Have tried Enid Blyton- she hated them (even the Folk of the Faraway Tree et al).
Off to do my online library order!

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 12-Mar-14 11:59:01

Yes, JW does a good wide range!
You have to be careful to get the right ones as they're all easy reads and nearly all illustrated by Nick Sharrat in that very cartoony way, so it's worth double-checking the age group.

BornFreeButinChains Wed 12-Mar-14 12:14:31

I was going to suggest Ottoline as they kick started our DD.
Did you know he has started to write another series very similar called Goth Girl...

Beastofburden Wed 12-Mar-14 12:17:09

Maybe she might be more into non-fiction? have you tried Gerald Durrell?

stoopstofolly Wed 12-Mar-14 12:23:04

I forgot to mention Goth Girl- she did enjoy that as well (went as Goth Girl for world book day).
We've tried non fiction with limited success- but Gerald Durrell is inspired- I loved them when I was younger...

TheWanderingUterus Wed 12-Mar-14 12:47:14

Dd is 8 and loves
Clover Twig
The 'Squire' quadrology by Tamora Pierce (the lioness series by the same author is also brilliant but is for 12+)
Ronia the robbers daughter
Igraine the brave
Crown duel by Sherwood smith
The goose girl by Shannon hale
Princess academy by Shannon hale
Sword of light quadrology by Katherine Roberts
Dealing with dragons quadrology by Wrede
Zita the space girl by hatke
The secret of moonacre by goudge
North child by pattou
The farthest away mountain by Lynne Reid banks
Ellie and the hag witch by cress well
Gobbolino the witches cat
Roman mysteries series
Ella enchanted

TheWanderingUterus Wed 12-Mar-14 12:48:07

Sorry I couldn't remember the authors of a couple of those

AntiDistinctlyMinty Wed 12-Mar-14 12:55:07

The Green Knowe books by Lucy M Boston are great. I loved them at that age. There are ghosts etc in them if she likes that sort of thing.

I also had a great book called The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch, about a boy who goes back in time and is a medieval lord's son. I still read it occasionally when I don't have anything new smile

AntiDistinctlyMinty Wed 12-Mar-14 12:58:33

Ooh, or The Worst Witch books - I think I was about eight when I read those...

Galena Wed 12-Mar-14 13:04:21

Atticus Claw?

DebbieOfMaddox Wed 12-Mar-14 13:18:38

My 9yo good-but-reluctant reader has just become entranced by Guy Bass's Stitch Head books. They aren't massively challenging but they aren't too simple either and at least he is reading! He's also enjoyed some Eva Ibbotson (Which Witch? went down particularly well, I think) and I remember his enjoying The Giants and the Joneses although that was probably a couple of years ago now.

Things I've pushed at him without success (but you might do better) include Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising series, the Roman Mysteries series and The Mysterious Benedict Society and sequels.

PastSellByDate Wed 12-Mar-14 13:46:25

Hi stoopstofolly:

Reluctant readers sometime appreciate non-obvious book reading options:

1) magazines (if they're into Dr. Who/ Batman/ etc... there probably is a magazine you can get) - these usually have lots of reading, some games (maths/ spelling/ puzzles/ etc...) and are a great way to build skills without it making it seem like work.

2) COMICS. Again these can be a great way of encouraging reading that's fun (and maintains pictures). DD1 badgered my at an airport to buy a pokemon comic book - but I was bowled over when she announced at the start of the new school year: 'Mum, you'll never believe it, my arch nemesis has been put on my starter table!' Thank you Pokemon!

3) Video games with lots of reading: Things like nintendo Pokemon games or Professor Layton have a lot of reading that has to be done to do well in the game. You may have to play too - but that's not too onerous a task.

4) Richard & Judy had a reading selection for children - I don't think they're running it seriously any more but their recommendations are still thre: https://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/childrens-current-reads/Autumn-2012/229

5) The Book Trust has some brilliant suggestions by age & theme: www.booktrust.org.uk/ - select BOOKS and then under Children select BOOK FINDER - then select age band - then explore different themes - 8 is tricky because often selections are 5-8/ 9 - 12 here - but look in 9-12 as well.

6) READ to your DC. 8 year olds still loved to be read to - so sometimes encouraging them to try a longer book (a chapter book) is easier if they've read a few with you. I chose Charlotte's Web for DD1 - who ended up having to comfort her old fool of a Mum at the end when I got all weepy. But she adored it - and after that could see that longer stories could be really good too!

HTH

Seryph Wed 12-Mar-14 15:25:19

I would definitely give Artemis Fowl a go, and The Hobbit. The earlier Harry Potter books are fine from the 7-9 age bracket.
The Spiderwick Chronicles (Holly Black) are fantastic, maybe the Series of Unfortunate Events. Have you tried The Worst Witch? Chronicles of Narnia are always a good try too.
Oh, and I've heard good things about the How to Train Your Dragon books. How about some of the slightly longer Roald Dahl books? The Twits, BFG, Fantastic Mr. Fox etc?
And then there's the various oldies, but goodies, The Waterbabies, The Wind In The Willows, Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking glass.

stoopstofolly Wed 12-Mar-14 15:45:42

Wow everyone! Some amazing suggestions that I hadn't thought of/ didn't know where there.
grin
I'm going to go all out- order a selection from the library and see what sticks. I'd rather she was reading ANYTHING (even below capability) as long as she's reading.

This is so useful- thanks!

Silkyandmoonface Wed 12-Mar-14 23:11:20

first news

Lazytoad Thu 13-Mar-14 22:25:40

All the David Walliums books, my son loves them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now