Talk

Advanced search

Good iPad apps for kids (including safe browser)

(6 Posts)
EarSlaps Wed 12-Mar-14 11:22:24

We're upgrading our iPad, so our old iPad (first model) will go to our DSs (aged 4.7 and 1.10). It will still be ours but pretty much used exclusively by them iyswim.

DS1 is in reception, so any suggestions for some good educational but fun games that will work on an older iPad? We'll also disable YouTube and Safari, so we'd like to replace safari with a safe browser he can use as he gets older. Any suggestions for that?

DS is very into vehicles, Lego, dinosaurs and police. Don't mind paying a little bit for apps that are really worth it.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Wed 12-Mar-14 13:39:16

k9 is the best app I've found for safeguarding devices, it's free and with it you can set everything ie youtube, safari to your own age preferences and easily override them if necessary. Apps afraid I'm not so good on, the educational ones in our house are rarely used and Minecraft is the flavour of the day (but my dcs much older). Sure someone will be along soon with suitable suggestions.

Somersaults Wed 12-Mar-14 13:44:12

PhonicsPlay is excellent to support the Letters and Sounds programme. I also like one called Little Digits for maths. Both of those I use at home. Apps that we use at school include the Beebots app for computer programming and control (but disguised as a game!), one called Shadow Pup for lots of projects and photo manipulating apps too. My DD loves the CBeebies app too. Two that I like and that she will play with for hours are called Endless ABC and Endless Reader. I think they're fab for developing higher tier vocabulary and reading. Hope this helps!

UndoTyping Wed 12-Mar-14 16:12:52

Squeebles is good for times tables

Komodo maths is excellent

EarSlaps Wed 12-Mar-14 22:07:18

Thanks for the suggestions flowers, I'll look into them

lucyrome Mon 09-Nov-15 13:16:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now