Talk

Advanced search

Some advice please

(6 Posts)
lifeissobusy Wed 12-Mar-14 09:31:34

HI All

I am after some advice as I have a meeting with DD's teacher soon. I have several concerns:-
1) She finished Yr2 as 2A for all subjects (she did do level 3 papers in sats but those results were never given out or discuss despite me asking). Yr3 she end with 3C+ and now half way through Yr4 she is 3b. Am I right to be worried about her progress?
2) Ever year since reception her school report mentioned that "she lacks confidence academically" and that she finds concentrating for long periods challenging. In Yr3 I had a meeting with the teacher and asked what she was doing to help her with these areas and her reply and I kid you not was "I have been teaching for 40 years so do not tell me how to do my job and your DD will learn these skills!" Fast forward to year 4 half term report mentions exactly the same thing so at parents evening we brought it up and the teacher said she would give it some thought and get back to us. Nothing has come back as yet but I have asked for the meeting so we can discuss this. Is it the teachers job role to make sure that DD is feeling confident in her learning?
3) After half term my DD looked at me and cried as she didn't want to go back to school. It made me remember my education which was really bad and I hate school and as a result I didn't do well. Is DD at risk of being the same?
Any advice gratefully received.

PastSellByDate Wed 12-Mar-14 14:42:34

First off lifeissobusy - have a look at this page from MN on progress through NC levels (www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/progress-through-national-curriculum-levels) - the table at the bottom of that page shows that for a notional 'average' child NC L3b is expected progress at end of Y4.

So my advice is that what you should be starting out with is a feeling that your child is doing o.k. - not great - but o.k. - she's where she should be.

-----------

lacking confidence academically or otherwise (but especially as you indicate this is an issue for you) - can really hold a child back. So you need to remind yourself that your her cheerleader: You can do it! Yes you can! (as Bob the builder would say). I don't know that I'd go as far as Yoda (There is no try....only do!) - but said in a Yoda voice it usually gets a laugh from my girls.

My advice would be to talk with the teacher about things like:

What should we be working on at home? is always a great start.

----------------------

Resources for Year 4:

Woodlands Junior School Resources: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ - particularly recommend maths zone/ literacy zone/ homework help (ideas of researching historical periods/ geograph/ etc...) - all free, friendly website, easy to find the bit you need and lots of resources/ links to games once you get there.

MULTIPLICATION is key in Year 4 - your DD really does need to be learning those times tables off by heart. You can chant/ sing/ etc... - but if like my DD your DD would rather not - try video games:

Multiplication on Woodlands Junior Maths Zone: www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/maths/timestable/index.html

Multiplication.com (advice & games): www.multiplication.com

and once they sort of know tables but are a bit shaky - download the free version of timez attack (2 platforms) which gives lots of practice of times tables and really helps build up speed (it will test your DC and start from where they're at): www.bigbrainz.com/

Knowing your times tables makes all further maths so much easier and really helps when you start to play with percentages, proportions & fractions.

We found the St. Ambrose spelling pages very useful for learning basic spelling patterns/ rules: www.saintambrosebarlow.wigan.sch.uk/spellingpage.htm - there are spelling books - but we just played their on line games. Warning - a few don't automatically mark answers - so you may need to help there.

Woodlands Junior school Literacy pages also very useful: www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/literacy/

READ - READ - READ - it's so beneficial. Read to your DD/ have her read to you. Talk about the stories/ the characters/ the author's use of words/ what words mean/ words you like/ etc.... But just encourage her to enjoy a good book. It's such a pleasure in life anyway - but it really helps at school.

MN have put up some free e-books on their learning pages - www.mumsnet.com/learning/learning-zone/key-stage-2-ebooks

Oxford Owl - now do free e-books for KS2: 9-11 selection link here: www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/reading-owl/find-a-book/library-page?view=&query=&type=book&agegroup=6&book=1&booktype=all&series=all#

Magazines, comic books/ graphic novels and even video games (Professor Layton/ Pokemon/ other games with a lot of reading necessary to play the game) can also be of help.

Finally I don't know what to advice about your DD not liking school - this is something you really need to discuss with her. I think you need to sort out whether she finds school work 'hard work' and doesnt' enjoy it/ finds it stressful or whether it's more a social thing (maybe getting teased/ doesn't have many friends/ etc...). I can't really advise what to do for best - but you have my sympathy it isn't easy when your child isn't thriving - no parent enjoys seeing that. However, there are only 2 more years and then it's off to senior school - and that can be a major improvement.

All the best of luck with everything. PSBD

lifeissobusy Wed 12-Mar-14 21:12:31

Thanks for the reply, PastSellbyDate

I had a meeting with the teacher today and we have come up with a way in which we can acknowledge DD's achievements (however small) so that we can reward her at home as the teacher doesn't want her singled out in class.
We have stopped reading together for a while now and I think she would definitely benefit from us restarting this and spending some mommy and me time to.
I will keep telling her that she can do things so maybe it will eventually sink in smile

mymiraclebubba Wed 12-Mar-14 21:21:55

dunno if it helps but if you know the specific areas she is struggling with then WH Smith do a fantastic range of workbooks that you can get (about £3 a book and a teacher resources for £10) that are brilliant!

My DSS is a bloody genius with maths and science but his reading comprehension is not at the standard the school expect so his dad and i have bought him some of these to work through and he is slowly improving - he tends to rush as he sees it as a competition to finish first so puts what he thinks is the answer without actually fully reading the questions

HTH

BornFreeButinChains Wed 12-Mar-14 21:29:32

I am glad you are getting a strategy sorted out, its your sort of OP that makes me panic and worry so much.

simpson Wed 12-Mar-14 22:49:15

Does she do any after school clubs that can help her confidence? Brownies for example.

My DS (also yr4) lacks confidence ( especially in speaking out loud) so he does cubs, karate, and a couple of sports (he is v sporty) to help him and also for him to enjoy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now