Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone get into there "I havent got a cat in hells chance school"

(16 Posts)
Steben Wed 12-Mar-14 09:22:29

Can anyone humour me � as first choice I put the school I would love dd1 to go to but as the title suggests I know we won�t get a place.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 12-Mar-14 10:42:03

In my case I live v close to the school but I can tell you that in recent years our school admission distance has always been less than 0.5 miles (it's a Ofsted outstanding school in a lovely new building so in high demand). Last year, due partly to another nearby school beginning to admit an extra class, the distance widened out to 1.25 miles. I imagine there were a lot of very happy people last year who'd just put our school down as a bit of punt. So it does happen and it's always worth putting your favourite school as first choice as long as at least one of your chances is a dead cert smile

Kezzybear Wed 12-Mar-14 10:56:31

Remember waiting lists move. Just because it is your 1st choice doesn't mean it is for everyone offered a place.

fuxache Wed 12-Mar-14 11:10:08

*their.

columngollum Wed 12-Mar-14 11:26:22

fuxache, (for OP) It's annoying, but if you make a typo, you just have to learn to live with it. It's part of this particular forum.

fuxache Wed 12-Mar-14 12:46:22

I have been on this particular forum since 2006.

Primary education topic.

Hmm...

Pinkglow Wed 12-Mar-14 12:56:44

I got a call from my first choice about 3 weeks into the new term in september asking if I wanted to change DS's school as there was not a place avaliable and he was top of the list.

I turned it down because our second choice turned out to be the best place for DH (special needs) so I guess they would have kept ringing down the list

Pinkglow Wed 12-Mar-14 13:08:22

as there was NOW a place avaliable

Pinkglow Wed 12-Mar-14 13:08:51

the best place for DS (not DH!) (special needs)

Steben Wed 12-Mar-14 13:46:09

It was a typo but thanks for the helpful contribution fux.

How does it work with waiting lists - do you ring them and ask to go on or is it automatic?

elvisola Wed 12-Mar-14 13:57:30

We did, outstanding school, 3 miles away in another town. Our town is full of dire primary schools.

I got her into pre-school there on the waiting list and loved it. When it came to primary allocations we were given a local school and were number 10 (and last) on our chosen schools waiting list. Over the summer term and holiday we dropped down to Number 1 three times but got pushed back up again.

We eventually were offered a space 3 weeks into September which we took immediately and never looked back smile

Our situation may be unusual though as the majority of catchment children for our school are privately educated with lots of people hanging onto a state space "just in case". There has always traditionally been a lot of movement. Last year however there were 45 on the waiting list and only 2 people got in so it's also variable by year .

Pinkglow Wed 12-Mar-14 14:12:59

Steben - they rang us automatically as I wasnt aware we were even on the list. This was in Surrey

NynaevesSister Wed 12-Mar-14 14:16:26

Most places will put you don't automatically BUT not all local authorities do so. Call your local authority and check.

Steben Wed 12-Mar-14 14:19:31

Thanks for replies - just called and you automatically go on a waitlist so that is good to know. Here is hoping!

nobutreally Wed 12-Mar-14 14:20:28

We got into the very oversubscribed school which is probably third/forth closest to us geographically (we live on the same road as the closest school) - but we had to wait just over a year. It was worth it, for us - esp as it meant we then had sibling priority for a year where their catchment area was substantially tightened and we would never have got in.

We were lucky that ds' year was a low birthrate year - I don't know anyone else in our immediate area who has got into that school recently. Even so, when we first went on the waiting list we were something like 24th - waiting lists & school places do shift around a lot (certainly around here)

Whereisegg Wed 12-Mar-14 15:08:58

Yes, I was amazed as we live a minute walk from another school but that one is dire.
Now in special measures, results near worst in the county and regular police visits.

Absolutely over the moon that dd won't be going there but we don't qualify for help with bus fare to get to her school.

I am currently looking for an evening job grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now