Talk

Advanced search

Writing more advanced than reading?

(7 Posts)
mydaftlass Mon 10-Mar-14 23:06:35

DDs teacher commented last week that it is really unusual for a child's writing ability to be ahead of their reading and I just read similar on another thread. The teacher remarked in particular on DDs use of language. Her spelling is hilarious though!

I've commented before about her difficulties reading and although she's getting much more confident in reading recently her writing seems to be much better. School doesn't like to talk in terms of levels but she's y2, lower-average levels. Writing is probably 2-3 sub-levels ahead of reading.

She's really struggled with reading until now and I'm wondering if difference in levels explains/indicates anything? Or is it just one of those things? (She's struggling in maths, in case that has any bearing on things)

EdgeOfNowhere Tue 11-Mar-14 08:03:18

With reading there's a wrong and a right answer. So 'struggling readers' (dyslexics etc) get marked wrong.

With writing there's no wrong or right answer - in terms of content. So some children do appear to be further ahead in writing (content) then in reading.

But, as you've mentioned, her spelling indicates she does have literacy problems.

Very bad spelling will keep her writing level low though.

mydaftlass Tue 11-Mar-14 21:58:19

Her spelling is phonetically plausible so school don't find it an issue at present.

littlemiss06 Wed 12-Mar-14 17:33:19

My daughter is one of those children whos writing is above reading and the headteacher told us it was unsual. My daughter ended year one of 1c in everything, the difference showed up end of year two when her reading was 1b and her writing was 2C shes now coming up to the end of year 3 and at last weeks parents evening we were told her reading was still 1b her writing is now at 1a, not sure what it means although she is obviously behind. Someone did tell me it can be due to problems with visual tracking

columngollum Wed 12-Mar-14 17:43:06

littlemiss, 2c is higher than 1a. Was that what you meant?

mrz Wed 12-Mar-14 18:00:27

It is unusual for writing to be ahead of reading but not unheard of and not an indication of difficulties. I disagree with EdgeOfNowhere there is a "right & wrong" answer in writing, children are expected to write for different purposes and structure their writing accordingly. It's no good writing instructions starting "Once upon a time ..." . Children need to sequence and order words correctly and sentences use the correct tense and be consistent ...there are many ways writing can be "wrong".

littlemiss06 Wed 12-Mar-14 18:21:54

Yes that's right columngollum, but to be honest I didn't believe she was 2C at the end of yr 2, felt they marked her higher than she actually was for some reason but felt this would show in yr 3 which is seems to be doing and now looks like shes going backwards.

At end of spring yr 2 the headteacher pulled me up to say how she was doing great and that her levels were now 1c in reading and 1b in maths and writing, when the reports came out they then told me she had jumped up from a 1b to a 2c in one term, I personally doubted such a big jump and when I went to the first parents evening in October all her levels were lower than they told me in the report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now