Talk

Advanced search

Difference between Reception and Yr1

(10 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Mon 10-Mar-14 14:55:42

Hi everyone

I have read on here that there is quite a big jump between YR and Y1. I wondered if any primary teachers or parents with experience could tell me about what exactly it is that is different?

My DD is in YR, doing some reading and maths and phonics but lots of playing and making. She seems to be happy. The school seem to be quite laid back and are not rushing through the reading bands etc. Which suits me fine.

Is how she spends her days set to change dramatically in September when she starts Y1 or will it be a more gradual shift?

Thanks in advance
Bumps x

redskyatnight Mon 10-Mar-14 15:23:44

- day is more structured
- less play based (though good school will phase this in)
- less free choice (this caught my DS out - even though there were a lot of "fun" activities, they weren't fun activities he'd chosen)
- more time on carpet lisenting to teacher.

DC's old school did a gradual shift - but it is still a big change!

columngollum Mon 10-Mar-14 18:10:10

I can't say that we've noticed the difference, myself. The class is in a different place.

Ferguson Mon 10-Mar-14 18:59:17

A child who is happy, confident and making progress in YR shouldn't have any problems in Y1, which many schools ease into over a few weeks or months. So not an immediate jump in challenges or expectations I wouldn't have thought. A class I worked in a small school had YR/Y1/Y2 all in the same class, and that worked well.

Unfortunately parents tend to worry more than the children!

simpson Mon 10-Mar-14 19:57:12

Both my kids noticed a big difference.

DD's reception class was open plan (90 kids - 3 teachers) and they could go outside whenever they wanted (apart from registration and phonics) with play stations (writing corner, reading corner, sand/water play etc).

She is now in yr1 and her classroom is much more formal. One teacher to 30 kids. They have there designated seats for different subjects and more is expected from them academically and behaviour wise. They have "break time" as apposed to playing outside whenever they want. Although they can still go to the toilet whenever needed.

simpson Mon 10-Mar-14 19:57:59

Their not there blush

Timeforabiscuit Mon 10-Mar-14 20:51:13

Haha Ferguson - it very much depends on the school!!

reception
lots of free running between activities
a bit of structured learning
very much play based

yr1
structured lessons
enforced rules (you WILL sit down)
stricter teachers (according to dd)
no free flow between activities

My serious advice is to talk to a year 1 or 2 child, my dd is year 1 now - and transition to yr1 was harder than full time nursery to reception,

Although this may be down to excellent teaching, so now she can articulate exactly how shitty year one is wink

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 10-Mar-14 20:59:29

My youngest ds is y1 in a class with reception. I think it works well, although he is in a small group. He gets focused time in that group with TA and he his progress has been amazing. He was struggling at the end of reception with many areas of his learning so I can understand your concern. I think he was just ready for learning at y1.

Mumof3cherubs Tue 11-Mar-14 09:28:59

DS liked year R, is really liking Y1. Bigger chairs, no carpet, much more structure, stricter teacher. I think the differences make him feel more grown up.

kellibabylove Tue 11-Mar-14 09:45:41

DD1 is in Y1 and DD2 is in YR.
Reception is alot like nursery at our school they have just added reading books and some homework, but not every week.
Y1 is more structured with less choice of own activities and they have set homework every week including spellings and maths. It's just a more formal set up. DD1's classroom has a play post office and toy corner so im guessing there is still alot of playtime. As other posters have said they phase them into it. I imagine the end of Y1 is very different to reception.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now