Talk

Advanced search

Junior dictionary recomendations?

(8 Posts)
IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 05-Mar-14 15:35:20

any one recommend one, have seen some on line but some of the more pictorial ones seem to leave lots of words out? or have they been sufficient? DD is 6 and a good avid reader.

Galena Wed 05-Mar-14 16:19:59

I like the Oxford range... maybe the Oxford Children's Dictionary?

mamachelle Wed 05-Mar-14 20:27:06

We bought the oxford childrens dictionary a couple of wks ago from Whsmiths for £5 on special. They also had 3 for 2 on at the time so it might still be on now. The girls seem to like it and have used it several times since we bought it.

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Mar-14 20:30:32

We got DD this one -she is just 7

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 05-Mar-14 20:52:13

I am literally about to buy it, OoH.

I liked the look of the more illustrated one but reviews said loads of words missing thought this one may be a good starter.

are you happy with it?

Ferguson Wed 05-Mar-14 22:27:04

The Oxford First Dictionary is aimed more at younger children, 5 - 7 yrs, and has pictures so may be one you have already seen.

The Oxford Junior Dictionary might be a bit daunting, but if you have already bought it you can keep it for a couple of years, till she's older.

The Phonics Spelling Dictionary doesn't have meanings, but is useful to support phonics, and has spelling hints.

Go to the Oxford site as you can see them all there, and compare.

OohMrDarcy Thu 06-Mar-14 07:32:04

DD loves it and has it next to her bed when reading all the time - she has used it loads smile

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Thu 06-Mar-14 09:02:43

Thanks darcy Thanks Fergusun, am going with the one to keep for a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now