Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend a good pencil grip for RIght handed DD

(5 Posts)
Googleplexmania Tue 04-Mar-14 21:51:14

Hi. I noticed this evening during handwriting inactive that DD holds her pencil in a cake like fashion - this really explains her erratic and scruffy handwriting.

I've tried to show her the correct way to hold a pencil but she insists her way is more comfortable. It can't be though and looks just so awkward.

I've heard about pencil grips. Are they a useful training aid?

Googleplexmania Tue 04-Mar-14 21:52:13

Handwriting practice*

Claw-like*

iPhone typos

FullOfChoc Tue 04-Mar-14 22:00:04

Yes a pencil grip would probably be useful. Ideally she should try a few out, there are loads of different types.

Ask at school, perhaps the senco / inclusion manager would have a box full of different types and your DD could try a few.

CalloftheHaunted Tue 04-Mar-14 22:02:48

Don't know. My smallest DS is only learning to write and I found that although he held his pencil correctly, he was pressing a little too hard, thus making writing more difficult. I purchased an ergonomic pencil thing with grooves for the fingers to sit and it has helped with pressure and his writing is marginally better.

My eldest DS... well, his writing was awful! I also invested in said pencil and it didn't help a jot. He does write with his wrist bent at a funny angle though so that probably doesn't help.

WestmorlandSausage Tue 04-Mar-14 22:06:39

www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Range/Pens-Pencils-and-Grips/6b7cde2d-c858-49f3-8fcb-ba69dbbfc022?pagesize=-1

have a look at the link above for general ideas

however perhaps as a starter try the Yoro
www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD2056352/Yoropen/?rguid=6b7cde2d-c858-49f3-8fcb-ba69dbbfc022

or the penagain

www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD2056334/Penagain-Pen/?rguid=6b7cde2d-c858-49f3-8fcb-ba69dbbfc022

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now