Talk

Advanced search

these weird grades

(18 Posts)
SarfEasticated Tue 04-Mar-14 19:58:07

Had my dd parents evening and were given grades. Maths 1b Literacy 2b writing 2c but I don't think I understand. She isn't that great at Maths, but is good at Literacy, so does that mean a 1b is a lower mark than a 2b? I did ask the teacher and she wasn't very clear, mentioned the grades start at 6 or something...? Can you clarify? thanks!

spanieleyes Tue 04-Mar-14 20:00:34

A 1 is lower than a 2 so her grades show she is better at literacy ( do they mean reading?) than writing and maths! A 2b is better than a 2c too!

2kidsintow Tue 04-Mar-14 20:01:42

3a
3b
3c
2a
2b
2c
1a
1b
1c

Starting at the bottom and working their way up. So a 1a is higher than a 1b and a 2c is higher than a 1 a.

Not sure about the 6, unless it refers to grading in the foundation stage/phase. In Wales, children in the foundation phase might reach 'outcome 6' which is equivalent to a level 3.

SarfEasticated Tue 04-Mar-14 20:08:56

Oh dear - does that mean she's near the bottom of the grades for Maths and in the middle for the others? Teacher wasn't worried and DD is very happy there...but I'd like to understand the system.

spanieleyes Tue 04-Mar-14 20:11:26

Well it depends what year she is in! If she is in Year 1 then she is doing well, if she's in Year 6 it might be time to worry!

ZanyMobster Tue 04-Mar-14 20:11:32

What year is she?

SarfEasticated Tue 04-Mar-14 20:17:10

She is in Y1. I assumed these grades were just a more detailed breakdown of the old fashioned a,b,c? Crikey this is confusing!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 04-Mar-14 20:17:52

The 'grades' each have a set criteria and the same scale/set of criteria is used for assessment from year 1 to year 9. Children will progress through the levels as they progress through school.

As a quick guide children are expected to be at level 2 by the end of year 2, level 4 by the end of year 6 and level 5/6 by the end of year 9. Some children will be above that and some below.

spanieleyes Tue 04-Mar-14 20:22:01

If she's a level 2b mid way through year 1, she is doing very well.

iklboo Tue 04-Mar-14 20:23:17

DS is in year 3 - new school which seems to push him harder than his old school. He's just got 3B reading & writing & 3C maths against 'projections' of 3A reading & writing, 3B maths. Is he doing OK? He's doing stuff in maths he didn't seem to do at his old school (fractions, some algebra).

SarfEasticated Tue 04-Mar-14 20:23:41

That's lovely to know spanieleyes - I can now relax grin

ZanyMobster Tue 04-Mar-14 20:27:48

That is absolutely fine for Y3. The expected level for the end of Yr 3 is 2a/3c.

iklboo Tue 04-Mar-14 20:45:15

Thank you Zany! I, too, am from the 1a was excellent 5E was poor era.

I think it's good that he's loving the school & the work as well. He's had brilliant comments about his attitude, manners etc as well so we're happy with that, too.

ZanyMobster Tue 04-Mar-14 21:03:49

My DS has just changed to a new school as his old one was a stand alone infant school and he has been the same, he is loving it and doing so well. Glad your DS in enjoying school - it really does make a huge difference to their progress when they are inspired!

PastSellByDate Thu 06-Mar-14 11:03:45

Hi SarfEasticated:

Mumsnet explains National Curriculum Levels here: www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/national-curriculum-levels - read this & then follow the links (related pages in blue boxes on right) to other information on how you progress through the NC levels whilst in primary school.

Basically the end of year Target for Year 1 is NC L1a according to mumsnet (see progress through NC Levels chart at bottom of this page: www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/progress-through-national-curriculum-levels

So your DC (only 1/2 way through year 1) is doing just fine - maybe a little low for maths.

So what you could work on in maths is ensuring that your DC really gets counting: to 100/ by intervals of 2/ by intervals of 10/ by intervals of 5

Understands even and odd numbers (read door numbers going up your road - walk up one side & down the other to cover evens and odds - great to do on the way to school/ park/ friends/ etc...)

Gets number bonds to 10

Presuming that they get the ways to make numbers 2 - 4
so all the ways to make 5: 1+4/ 2 + 3/ 3 + 2/ 4 + 1
make 6: 1+5/ 2 + 4/ 3+ 3/ 4+2/ 5 + 1
make 7: 1 + 6/ 2 + 5/ 3 + 4/ 4+3/ 5 + 2/ 6 + 1
etc... to 10.

Play games like snakes and ladders - forward for counting up (add a second die so you can count up to 12) and backwards for counting back.

VISIT Oxford Owl early maths page - which has lots of resources/ games to support learning first principles in maths: www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/maths-owl/maths

Encourage real life maths:

Measuring things for cooking

Dividing things (pizzas/ cakes ideal for this) into halves/ thirds/ quarters/ etc...

Discuss how best to be sharing things out - another way of thinking of dividing - so you have a bag of 15 sweets but there are four of you at home - but you want to give the same number to everybody - how many would that be. How can we work it out (encourage 4 piles).

Again - don't be too worried - see it as the school indicating to you where your DC's strengths and weaknesses are. It's good to know they're a bit weaker in one area - it helps you to focus on things at home.

Also - don't be shy. Ask the teacher (if you haven't already) what you could be doing at home right now to help with your DC's maths. It may be it really helps.

HTH

PastSellByDate Thu 06-Mar-14 11:06:03

Also some great games for 5 - 7 year olds here:

www.mathschamps.co.uk/games5-7?

& some excellent resources on woodlands Junior School Mathszone:

resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/ - would recommend place value/ hundred square/ addition right now - maybe also subtraction if you feel your DC is ready.

iklboo Thu 06-Mar-14 18:52:16

Found out at parents evening tonight that the 'end of year' marks on his report (3a in reading & writing, 3b in maths) are his projected scores not what he HAS to achieve (if that makes any sense).

SarfEasticated Thu 06-Mar-14 21:36:19

Ah you are all so hopeful thanks, and thanks for the maths tips. Really. DH and I have been thinking about what we can do to encourage an interest in maths. I think she thinks because she is good at 'literacy' the maths doesn't matter that much. Bless. I will follow the links and get going on it.
Much appreciated all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now