Talk

Advanced search

advice please! want to complain DD's teacher

(8 Posts)
littlelz Tue 04-Mar-14 18:04:22

DD is Y3, her literacy teacher is awful (she said that). The teacher often shout at children, criticize children for 10-15mins for an hour lesson. As child ask him to explain something (such as a spelling word), He asked back: why you don't know that word? DD feel lots of tense and is afraid of him. She hates literacy now because of the teacher. What should I do? Do I need to complain to the HT? will it change something? How do I talk to the HT? Advice please!!!

Amy106 Tue 04-Mar-14 18:18:17

First you go and meet with the literacy teacher and ask how you can help support your child. Then you can get a sense of what the teacher is like and it will help if and when you go to the HT who will probably ask if you have talked to the teacher first. Try to resolve the situation with the teacher but do not be surprised if you need to talk to the HT. When you talk to them, keep the focus on what your child's needs, not their shortcomings. Ask what the school plans to do to help dd feel comfortable at school.

Smartiepants79 Tue 04-Mar-14 18:27:32

I agree. Start with meeting the literacy teacher. Explain that you are concerned that DD is not enjoying/progressing with her literacy and what could both of you do to change that.
I would try not to go in and accuse him of anything. As far as I'm aware all you know is the opinion of an 8yr old. I'm not saying that your DD is wrong but children do see things differently and their sense of time is rubbish (10-15mins may only be 2-3 mins in reality).
If you do not get a satisfactory answer then definitely see the head. Try and be prepared for another side to the story. I doubt he views his lessons the same way as your daughter does!
Things like this are so often about how they are perceived, how things were said.
"Why don't you know that word" is something I might say to a child but I'd very likely be teasing them.

littlelz Tue 04-Mar-14 21:43:00

Thanks, Smart and Amy.

The thing is all these things didn't happen on DD, they happened on other children. She is telling me how her literacy teacher behave in his lesson, and how uncomfortable the children feel. I don't know how to talk to the literacy teacher tbh in such situation. any idea?

Amy106 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:03:37

You still need to speak to the literacy teacher. I would just say that dd is feeling tense and uncomfortable about her literacy class and you want to find ways to make she feel better. Make the conversation about your dd. Ask how she is in class and is there anything you could be doing to help at home. How the teacher reacts will give you a good idea of how things are for your dd. Hopefully, the teacher will react in a caring way and will make helpful suggestions to improve the situation. If not, then you go to the HT.
Good luck.smile

Smartiepants79 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:09:53

Hmm, that's a bit trickier. If its not actually having a negative impact on Your child I'm not sure where you stand. They might question whether it is any of your business.
If it is actually upsetting hr and affecting her learning you're on safer ground.
I'm not really sure that you can go in and complain on behalf of other people's children. You will have to explain how it is impacting in your daughter. Have you tried speaking to any of the other parents?
The problem you have is that, so far, you ave only what one child has said to go on.
I would still see the literacy teacher. It has to be your starting point.
Say that your daughter has started to lack enthusiasm for literacy and can he give you any idea why or what you can do the change this.
Having a separate literacy teacher at yr 3 is unusual, is this a private school?

littlelz Tue 04-Mar-14 22:45:02

Amy, great idea. That give me a comfortable standing point to talk to the literacy teacher.

Yes, Smart, that's what I am struggling, I can't complain on behalf of other people's children. I love your point - saying DD is losing interest in literacy and ask her teacher's opinion/idea on it.

Thanks you both, that's really helpful. good night!

Ferguson Wed 05-Mar-14 22:56:30

He shouldn't shout really, though I'm afraid many teachers do on occasions. He may have asked why they don't know it already, if it is something he has repeatedly explained!

Teachers invariably close ranks and stick together. Our DS had a sub-standard maths teacher at grammar school once, and we had a meeting with the head of maths and the teacher in question, but it didn't improve or change anything.

If you have the time, you could possibly ask to 'sit-in' on some lessons, or be a parent helper in another class, to get a 'feel' for what is really going on. Or if you know other parents, or children in Yr 6 who might have had him you could quietly enquire.

Do you know how old he is, how long he's been teaching, does he teach other subjects? Those are factors that could possibly explain somethings. (One shouldn't really generalize, but male PE and games teachers are very often very 'shouty'!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now