Talk

Advanced search

Learning to read with speech disorder from glue ear

(17 Posts)
Lovethesea Mon 03-Mar-14 20:35:06

Help!

DS is 4 in June and starts reception this September.

He has had grommets for a year now and speech therapy but progress is slow as he missed vital sound learning while deaf and reverts to his disordered learning bour not four etc in chatting.

After weeks of work he can now make a ffffffff sound if he really concentrates but finds it very hard to use.

He cannot make a ssssssss sh ch or z sound at all. We model it, he tries to puff some air through his nose but cannot form the mouth shape needed to get the hiss.

He is showing an interest in rewarding and is conscious of his sister in R starting to read more and more. I know he is young for his year but I am concerned about how we approach learning to read next year if he is still unable to make key sounds.

I know s was one of huge first five sounds my daughter brought home to learn.

Is sight reading better? I am planning on getting salt and senco together once the school for September is confirmed, but what can I ask for? What are the options for a child who cannot sound individual letters but is above average in vocab and grammar according to the salt tests?

Lovethesea Mon 03-Mar-14 20:36:25

Showing an interest in reading thank you iPad.

mrz Mon 03-Mar-14 21:21:35

Profoundly deaf children can learn to read using phonics and it's estimated that in the average class of 30 children 6 will suffer from glue ear on any given day so he is not unusual.
You may find that phonics compliments his SALT input but it is a good idea to speak to his therapist.

CocktailQueen Tue 04-Mar-14 09:29:15

My ds had glue ear and had grommets fitted in reception. Funnily enough, he preferred to learn using sight reading rather than sounding out. However, other dc with hearing problems have learned to read using phonics in ds's class, and even though they may not be able to say the sound (ch, for example) they can still read it in a word, e.g. church, and say it correctly. Ask your SALT, definitely.
hth?

DeWe Tue 04-Mar-14 10:45:12

Ds has glue ear and is on his 3rd set of grommets. He also has speech issues, he's in year 2 now and struggles with some blends.

He's an advanced reader, but phonics have actually helped his speech. For example, he came out in year 1 (I think) very excited to tell me that "he didn't think I would know, but sh and ch don't make the same sound". grin

nennypops Tue 04-Mar-14 17:22:18

Have a look at this - www.hi2u.org/Dyslexic/glue_ear_and_dyslexia.htm

I think the author has also written books on this.

Lovethesea Tue 04-Mar-14 18:55:21

Thanks for the thoughts. The dyslexia link is interesting, must remember to keep an eye on that later in case it turns up.

Ironically his vocab was a year above his age when tested last September, and his grammar is good, it's just pronunciation that is muddled.

I can see phonics might help a lot, today he thought tree started with the d sound. I'm concerned about the group sessions they do in school on it and him feeling really negative about learning, reading and school if he struggles and gets frustrated and anxious.

I want to push things forward as he is showing signs of losing confidence in his own abilities which he never used to, he's always been far too confident on doing it himself, not now though.

cloutiedumpling Tue 04-Mar-14 19:15:00

One of my DSs had problems with his speech and it was only after he'd been at school for 4 months that I found out that he wasn't picking up phonics at school. He thought that all vowels were the same sound and that td were also. He did learn the sounds pretty quickly once I sat down and went over them with him, but I wish I'd done it earlier.

cloutiedumpling Tue 04-Mar-14 19:17:15

Sorry, I pressed post too quickly. I think he found it difficult to hear the sounds in a large classroom environment and that he needed a more one to one approach.

incywincyspideragain Tue 04-Mar-14 19:24:17

ds3 is 4 (5 in June) in reception and under SALT because of disordered speech due to glue ear (first set grommets at 2.5yrs, second set 4yrs - during last summer) he has above average language, now can say back sounds (g, n) but struggling with r. He's had no difficulty learning to read or his enjoyment of learning.
SALT started when he was 3 (term before he started school) and we did jolly phonics games so phonics overall should help as it seems like the standard approach.
Firstly he is young... not even in school... I wouldn't worry about formal learning at this stage, ask SALT what support you should be offering to compliment his learning rather than formal skills - there are lots of games you can play, which I'm sure you do, to develop his listening skills which will be of more use than focusing on the actual sounds imo. Can he place things in first and last/end? this also helps in distinguishing sounds (I'm not a SALT or trained in anyway but all 3 children have needed some SALT due to glue ear and it all seems to follow the same pattern)
Once you have school confirmed go in and meet with SENCO, take in all reports from SALT and get him on School action plus with IEP - that will get them to take an interest in his learning and give you a chance to regularly review his progress.

maizieD Tue 04-Mar-14 20:02:48

I'd strongly advise you to ignore the 'dyslexia' link.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 04-Mar-14 20:53:35

My deaf DS is learning to read using phonics. It has been slower than his hearing peers but we are getting there.

I would ask the SALT to meet with the teacher too. The school may have a different SALT to the community one you have probably seen up til now and it may be good to have both there, if that's possible.

The SALT should be able to give you lots of games that can help with the phonemes he struggles with; you can also ask for his phonics teaching to be delivered in a quieter space than the classroom so he has a better chance of hearing the whole sound.

Will he have input from a teacher for Hearing Impaired children? They will be able to advise further on how the school teaches phonics and on how they can make his classroom a communication friendly space.

That my DS has been slower to pick up phonics than his hearing peers has caused a lot of damage to his confidence. He's starting a new school soon and, as he's a late summer born boy too, they have let him join Year R instead of Y1. I'm happy about this; he needs the extra time and although it could present problems in the future his confidence and happiness need fixing now.

mrz Tue 04-Mar-14 21:00:00

I agree with maizieD

RandomMess Tue 04-Mar-14 21:04:47

My dd was very similar, August birthday, speech disorder due to hearing problem, advanced erm language skills (? can't remember the term) but very difficult for other people to understand.

She had an IEP and there was a small group in her class who did lots of work together as they all had hearing/speech issues.

What made an absolute huge difference in bringing her up to speed was johansen therapy.

mrz Tue 04-Mar-14 21:04:47

You might be interested in the research into cost of repeating a year MissB
educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/toolkit/repeating-a-year/

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:23

It's a decision that will be reviewed often and not one we came to lightly. Our principal reasons for asking for his entry to R were social and emotional and not academic. It is more a case of him not being ready - having seen him the the R class today he 'fits' there. My older DS was ready and I'd never have dreamed of requesting similar for him.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 04-Mar-14 21:28:17

Should have said ' in the R class…'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now