Talk

Advanced search

Cursive Handwriting practice, year 1

(4 Posts)
Morebiscuitsplease Thu 27-Feb-14 16:08:36

When visiting my DD2's school recently for a writing lesson I noticed that she still has difficulty with her handwriting. She can write sentences, punctuate and her work makes sense but even she can't read it at times.
She was a little late writing and is left handed. I think she would benefit from additional handwriting practice but am struggling to find suitable resources as need it to be cursive as that is what they do at school and we need to be consistent.
Any suggestions please?

blueberryboybait Thu 27-Feb-14 17:50:13

We have had very similar issues wit hDD1, who is in yr 1 too. School have been amazing , we have letter activity sheets with cursive formation on them. We also have worksheets with patterns on them, so she learns to instinctively form letters so lines of loops above the ling, below the line, zigziags etc. We also downloaded pencil control booklets from Twinl (which is free to register)

If this works this should link to the printable cursive letter formation sheets we have from school.

Morebiscuitsplease Thu 27-Feb-14 21:30:13

Thank you blueberry, I will be speaking to the teacher shortly at parents evening...not sure if she needs letter or word practice...it just seems such a shame and I think she gets frustrated.

blueberryboybait Fri 28-Feb-14 12:28:29

We have found the pencil control work sheets have helps speed up her writing as it seems to flow more naturally. As a lefty myself I would make sure the school are turning her book/paper 45 degrees to the right as it makes it so much easier to write when you are not working unable to see what you are writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now