Talk

Advanced search

EYFS teachers

(10 Posts)
slp123 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:04:10

hi, I asked about reading lists the other day and after a chat with DDs teacher I have been given the complete list of words. They say Y1/2 words and also imclude days of the week, months, numbers to 20, common colours and her name and address.
The teacher told me she is setting up a challenge group for dd and couple of others and this means learning to read these words.
what I would like to know is is this a common way to extend early readers? it just seems a bit dull to me. Of course we will support this at home but what do you do with children who are doing well with reading?
thanks for any responses

blueberryupsidedown Wed 26-Feb-14 21:07:47

I don't understand what your problem with this is? Is it just because you think it's dull? Days of the week and months, and numbers and colours are on the list of 200 most frequently used words. The list is on many eyfs websites.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 26-Feb-14 21:14:17

I think I replied to your previous thread. I'm almost certain that is now the defunct year 1/2 list from the appendix of the 1998 literacy strategy.

It should have been replaced in 2006 with a list of 100 HFW plus a further list of 200 more HFW from Letters and Sounds. Many if not all of these are easily decodable.

slp123 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:21:54

Yes, I googled the list and it does seem to be the list you are referring to. She can already read the many of the words. The point I was making (I personally didn't see it as a problem I have) was that I imagine learning lists of words is not highly motivating for a four year old and I was just wondering other ways of supporting/encouraging/extending her reading.
Thanks

RiversideMum Wed 26-Feb-14 21:47:00

Why can't she just read lots of lovely books? Learning individual words is not joyful - and reading should be.

fluffycarpets Wed 26-Feb-14 21:51:32

I agree with Riverside Mum.... I was given a list by the kids school in Reception but didn't actually teach the words to the children, as it seemed dull. They just read, loads of books, and kept on reading. And learned the words themselves, because - they are common words and crop up everywhere.

I unfashionably believe that the best way to get kids to read is to foster... a love of reading.

blueberryupsidedown Thu 27-Feb-14 16:58:45

I have never liked lists personally, for reading and spelling later on. But I did some flashcards (shoot me!!) of some of the top 100 most frequent words and made up games with DSs, and I think it helped with the 'flow' of their reading as they started to recognise by sight some of the most frequent words. I know it's an old fashion method and I wouldn't use it with my minded children, but with my own children... And I do agree with the others that it's much nicer to read from books.

columngollum Thu 27-Feb-14 17:33:11

The days of the week and months also crop up in some children's books about time.

columngollum Thu 27-Feb-14 17:36:14

If the teacher is responsive then why not explore informative children's books at your local library and give the teacher some useful suggestions of your own?

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 27-Feb-14 17:42:40

I thought they weren't supposed to use word lists now?

We just read more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now