Talk

Advanced search

Word problems in maths

(7 Posts)
acatcalledchinchi Wed 26-Feb-14 19:37:07

DS (6, in year 2) has been practising SATs style maths papers which involve word problems. Whilst he is more than capable of working out the answer, he has been struggling to process the information given, and I'm not sure how much I can help him without giving the answer away?

I made a note in his journal and his teacher said she will provide more worksheets for further practice, but I'm not sure how I can help him without it seeming like I'm doing it all for him?

columngollum Wed 26-Feb-14 20:09:04

If the teacher just copies the worksheets and sends them home to you then she isn't teaching. Have you told her that? Perhaps add that your son doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing and could she help. If she says no, then ask for a different teacher.

acatcalledchinchi Wed 26-Feb-14 21:16:10

Up until now, she has given me feedback based on the assessments they've done in class and the areas he needs to practise more, for example last time she said adding two and three 2-digit numbers.

We worked on this over half term and he has grasped it. However, if he was to read a word problem that involved him needing to add three large numbers, he would struggle to understand what is asked of him.

His teacher hasn't raised any major concerns, this is just me doing extra practise with him at home to get him used to this kind of thing, especially for the SATs. I'm just not sure what help I'm supposed to be giving him without stating the obvious answer hmm

acatcalledchinchi Wed 26-Feb-14 21:18:22

Must add she is a fab teacher who has given him great support (he has mild CP and has always been behind the expected average- since being in her class, he is where he needs to be!)

Sometimes I'm worried about coming across as a pushy mum as nearly every week I'm writing notes in his journal asking what topic they're studying so I can support at home confused

YoullNeedATray Wed 26-Feb-14 21:35:57

Does the school use particular mnemonics for words problems? We use RUCSAC.
Read the problem, at least twice.
Understand what it is asking you and Underline the important information.
Choose your method of Calculation.
Solve the calculation.
Answer the question (ie.e remember to give the right units if needed)
Check the answer.

For those in my class who struggle with the Understand stage. I get the to really imagine the situation. Draw a picture if they need to.

Suzie has 24 sweets. She shares them between herself and three friends. How many sweets do they each get?
Draw Suzie. Draw her 3 friends (that's crucial to spotting that it's divide by 4 not 3). Then decide what method to use to share the 24 sweets.

acatcalledchinchi Wed 26-Feb-14 21:48:54

RUCSAC? I love it! Fab grin will try this out tomorrow and see how he gets on! Eek, I now have a direction to go in! Thanks YoullNeedATray!

YoullNeedATray Wed 26-Feb-14 22:04:16

You're very welcome :-)
www.stleonardsprimary.org.uk/documents/children_helping/rucsac_poster_set.pdf if he'd respond well to a bright reminder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now