Talk

Advanced search

Maths L5/L6 question

(16 Posts)
usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 18:14:15

If a child scored 90(ish)% on a mock L5 paper would school level them a 5a or a 6c?

usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 18:14:48

Or does it not work like that at all? confused

teacherwith2kids Wed 26-Feb-14 18:21:13

As far as I remember, the L5 paper - if you mean the Y6 one - is actually a L3-L5 paper, and has a ceiling at L5.

Which is why the L6 paper is separate.

I also seem to remember (sorry, Y6 not my area but have a Y6 child) that it is simply a 'L5' and isn't sublevelled. Equally a L3 is just a L3. it's only within the 4s that sublevels are given in the mark scheme for the paper.

MrsKCastle Wed 26-Feb-14 18:21:52

What do you mean by a level 5 paper? The official SATs tests are either 3-5 or level 6.

If the school is using their own made-up level 5 paper, or one published as level 5, they will make their own decision. But if it were me, I'd still say level 5- you can't assess as level 6 without asking any of the more challenging questions.

usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 18:28:16

Oh ok. DS said it was a "level 5" paper so I assume it was school's own paper?

I don't understand it all to be honest but was intrigued. Can I also assume they don't teacher assess them based on one test?

MrsKCastle Wed 26-Feb-14 18:34:10

Yes, the test may inform their assessment, but the judgement should mainly be based on how the child performs on a daily basis.

lljkk Wed 26-Feb-14 18:35:48

^ What they said.
I think there are some examples of past L6 papers online.

usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 18:37:47

I know lljkk. I couldn't make sense of them either grin

DS gets his brains from his dad

I'm just getting more lost as DS gets older!

mercibucket Wed 26-Feb-14 18:39:58

they are still lvl5 at our school

they can even get 100 percent and be level 5

spanieleyes Wed 26-Feb-14 18:43:18

Actually, on a level 3-5 ks2 Sats paper, a score of 90% would give you a 5b, certainly not a 5A or 6! You would need to score 93-94% on average to achieve a 5A and you can't be given a level 6 on a 3-5 test ( although you could be teacher assessed as such!)

usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 18:49:48

He scored 94% spanieleyes. I didnt realise the % would make such a difference which was why I was vague iyswim

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Feb-14 18:52:34

You can't get a level 6 on a paper that doesn't contain any level 6 questions.

PandaG Wed 26-Feb-14 18:57:10

DS got 100% on the real paper 3 years ago, and no-one at his school (or locally iirc) got the chance to do the level 6 paper. He could only get a level 5. Was most narked when his sister got the opportunity to sit, and achieve, a level 6! He is planning to read maths at university, so not scarred for life!

usernameunknown Wed 26-Feb-14 19:23:23

You can't get a level 6 on a paper that doesn't contain any level 6 questions.. That makes sense to me now

I'm more trying to work out what level he is working out I guess, purely for curiosity. I realise now I wont get that answer from the test he has just done though. Will have to wait for parent evening.

Thanks for the replies

Feenie Wed 26-Feb-14 19:41:10

PandaS, he could have been teacher assessed as a Level 6 which is supposed to have equal weighting. I'm sure he will manage just fine without it though grin

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 26-Feb-14 19:49:11

Ds was getting approx 97% in every practice test throughout the whole of yr 6 but came out with a Teacher Assessed level of 5b. No level 6 tests around then. Don't know about real test result because they just give a level 5, not a sublevel, as pp said.

Must be one of those weird kids who do better in tests than in a noisy, busy classroom (oh yes, of course he does, he's autistic).

Didn't harm him either as was working at level 7 in year 7 and level 8 in year 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now