Talk

Advanced search

Destroying Primary School Memories. What do I say?

(10 Posts)
vociferous Tue 25-Feb-14 17:58:16

Well as the post says. I have an 11 year old son. Started secondary school last July so is currently in year 7. He had a great time at Primary and seems to be enjoying Secondary.
This evening he came home very upset and grabbed his Primary School memories box which has his class autographed shirt, sweatshirt, first and last day photos and other things inside, he proceeded to throw the box in the bin. I questioned if he really wanted to do it. He said, just destroy it. Burn it. Do whatever because I don't need these anymore.
I am quite shocked. Should we have a mass bonfire and destroy or should I be persuading him to keep these precious items. Advice please!

TeenAndTween Tue 25-Feb-14 18:02:57

Do not have a massive bonfire.
Quietly take them out of the bin and put them somewhere safe. he will almost certainly want them later.

Then try to talk to your son. Something must have happened at school today. maybe a big falling out with his ex primary friends?

mrz Tue 25-Feb-14 18:03:22

Did he say why?

sneakyday Tue 25-Feb-14 18:03:50

I would say ok. Then keep them myself. Something has obviouy triggered this and I would want to know what.

meditrina Tue 25-Feb-14 18:05:06

I would quietly rescue the items from the bin and hide them.

Then try to find out what in earth has been going on to provoke the outburst. Actual disposal (which could be ceremonial burning) is a decision that should be made when calm. And he sounds anything but that right now.

Theas18 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:43:53

agree with all the PP . Summats up.... save the memory box and bide your time with chocolate and warm milk or similar for a calm chat eventually.

ThreeBeeOneGee Tue 25-Feb-14 18:45:42

I agree with the above. Remove said items from his sight, keep them somewhere safe. Listen to him when he is ready to talk.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 25-Feb-14 18:47:01

Yep what they said ^ they're very wise smile

Time for a gentle chat about whatever happened at school today!

Good luck.

vociferous Tue 25-Feb-14 19:30:44

Thanks for the advice folks. Memory box safely retrieved and hidden in my room. Yes, a chat is definitely needed but he is extremely upset at the moment. Hasn't eaten any dinner this evening. Now upset in his bedroom. I will go upstairs in a little while and attempt to chat with him.

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 26-Feb-14 07:03:06

Did he tell you what was bothering him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now