Talk

Advanced search

Does taking unauthorised term-time leave reflect badly on the HT?

(8 Posts)
ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 25-Feb-14 12:46:18

I'm considering taking my Y1 child out of school on unauthorised leave and paying the fine if need be. Would this reflect badly on the HT at all, or cause him any problems? He's been very good to us and I don't want to make things difficult for him. Please don't turn this into another discussion about whether it's right or wrong to take term-time leave, thanks smile

Extremewife Tue 25-Feb-14 12:51:02

Other than the attendance figures of the school are considered by the Ofsted inspectors (both when they are at school and when deciding who to visit!) not particularly no

gingercat12 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:07:42

Well, it really depends on the length of your DC's absence. A week probably would not ruin their attendance figures too much, but a few months would probably draw attention.

fluffycarpets Tue 25-Feb-14 13:09:48

My benchmark is - does it take the child's attendance below the national average? We've managed to stay at or above the average for the last three years and the kids are on time every day. This seems to me fair play (given that I don't want to damage the school, but have contempt for the policy).

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 25-Feb-14 19:32:09

Thanks, all.

rollonthesummer Tue 25-Feb-14 20:12:39

What is the national average attendance?

TheRoadLessTravelled Wed 26-Feb-14 00:17:44

The school (and therefore the HT) is judged on attendance levels. So yes, you could end up causing grief for the HT.

If the school doesn't meet certain attendance targets questions may be asked. Ofsted assume poor attendance means pupils are unhappy.

MillyMollyMama Wed 26-Feb-14 13:46:21

I think the Head would probably be disappointed in your decision if you had a holiday in term time. If everyone did it, the school and the HT would be in trouble and it would mean an adverse Ofsted inspection. The Head cannot stop you but it seems a bit mean to do this if the HT has been helpful to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now