Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Historical books/novel for 11 year old boy

(21 Posts)
RosieLig Mon 24-Feb-14 17:44:34

My 11 year old loves history. Any ideas on historical novels for boys?

Many thanks.

LittleMissGreen Mon 24-Feb-14 18:33:21

How about the Roman Mysteries, some of the My Story series, or Percy Jackson?

outtolunchagain Mon 24-Feb-14 18:39:19

What about the History Keepers series

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 24-Feb-14 18:42:16

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver, if he's prepared to consider prehistory!

charleybarley Mon 24-Feb-14 18:47:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 24-Feb-14 18:49:03

Cynthia Harnett was very good - The Wool Pack, A Load of Unicorn, etc. She's dated but still excellent.

jkklpu Mon 24-Feb-14 18:50:15

I am David }
Goodnight, Mister Tom} both vg on WWII
Tom's Midnight Garden - perhaps more social history?

Retropear Mon 24-Feb-14 19:24:44

Alex Scarrow's Time Rider series

LittleMissGreen Mon 24-Feb-14 19:29:55

Machine Gunners

LeBearPolar Mon 24-Feb-14 19:32:18

I came on here to suggest the Roman Mysteries and the Time Riders, both of which DS (just turned 11) loved. He also likes Simon Scarrow's Gladiator series.

I used to love books by a writer called Henry Treece when I was a child but I don't know whether he's stood the test of time or even whether he's still in print!

DS has also enjoyed the Baker Street Boys by Anthony Read (obviously set in the time of Sherlock Holmes...)

JellyMould Mon 24-Feb-14 19:41:12

Kidnapped by robert Louis Stevenson

AbbyR1973 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:10:10

The Children of The New Forest by Captain S Maryatt... Perfect for a boy of that age I would think.

I would also second the Rosemary Sutcliffe recommendations, there are lots of books by her about different time periods, The Eagle of the Ninth being the most well known, but she also did versions of King Arthur, Tristan and Iseult, Boudicca and others.
What about the Michael Morpurgo's set during the world wars?
The Adventures of Huck Finn / Tom Sawyer?
Treasure Island?
Little House on the Prairie series (perhaps aimed more at girls)
Moonfleet
Diary of Anne Frank

DoneWithStruggling Mon 24-Feb-14 22:15:44

There are a series of books by Ronald Welch about a family in different points in history. The books range from Knight Crusader (third crusade, about 1190?) to Tank Commander (First World War). Lots of historical detail and exciting stuff.

KingscoteStaff Mon 24-Feb-14 22:20:12

Once, Then, Now - 2nd World War

King of Shadows - set in Shakespeare's Globe

All Fall Down - set during the Plague.

Daisyjane12 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:23:19

My dd loved the wolf brother series!

maillotjaune Tue 25-Feb-14 00:11:35

The Silver Sword
Hero on a Bicycle
Hitler's Canary

The first two recently enjoyed by my nearly 11 yo DS and the third waiting to be read. All WWII.

EugenesAxe Tue 25-Feb-14 00:25:21

They are easy reading, but Boy and Going Solo - the Roald Dahl autobiographies - are great. Second one more so for WW2 stuff.

DeWe Tue 25-Feb-14 10:41:27

Geoffrey Trease-Cue for Treason his best, but many others you can get from ebay. His only non-historical books are the Bannermere series, however they are now history, set in 50s I think when he wrote them.

RosieLig Tue 25-Feb-14 17:02:14

Brilliant, loads of ideas! Thank you!

systemsmalfunction Tue 25-Feb-14 19:14:30

Roman mysteries

Arthur - at the crossing places, the seeing stone

PastSellByDate Wed 26-Feb-14 12:29:36

An oldie - but Eagle of the ninth (Rosemary Sutcliffe) - link here for review: www.goodreads.com/book/show/149405.The_Eagle_Of_The_Ninth

is a good read (DD1 read it at 10) and is a series - so there are more.

-----------

Nice link here to good historical reads for kids ages 4 - 11: www.mercermuseum.org/assets/Education-Documents/Learn-and-Do/Good-History-Reads-Copy.pdf

-----

the book trust has booklists (suggestions) by theme - including historical - link here: www.booktrust.org.uk/books/children/booklists/ - click BOOK FINDER (just under books for children) in list at left of this page - then click age group (so in this case 9 - 12) - then click 'historical' themed books....

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now