Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Derby

(10 Posts)
rajkand Sun 23-Feb-14 08:20:43

Hi,
My family has moved into Derby just a day back and we have a 4 years and 9 months old elder daughter whom we need seek admission into a good school in Derby, of course to start with on the Reception year for this year.

Need your expert advice on how to go about it and areas where we can target and how do we know if there are places available in good schools.
Of course I do know about Ofsted report and also about the criteria of being close to the schools.

Need your suggestions and advice on how to find a right school for an Indian Child moving first time into the UK.

Regards,
Leela.

LurkingNineToFive Sun 23-Feb-14 08:28:01

If you already have a house and you do not want to pay you'll probably not have too much choice. Find out what schools you are in the catchment for. The website 'rmschool finder' will tell you the schools results ofsted etc. good luck.

MrsBungle Sun 23-Feb-14 08:31:37

I think you should ring your local council and ask their advice as soon as possible. My daughter is 4 years and 8 months and started reception last year. If your daughter is 5 in May she will be starting either part way through reception this year or into year 1 next year so you will have a completely different application process.

rajkand Sun 23-Feb-14 10:43:21

We are yet to ascertain our place to live and the one criteria I'm certain about is the school.
I was advised by one of my relatives that Duffield area is good for living and has two good schools. Apparently, there only two schools. My curious question is, if I move in some kind of central place to the these schools and if the schools do not have places, what would happen?

rajkand Sun 23-Feb-14 10:43:50

Sure Mrs Bungle, we will call them tomorrow.

LurkingNineToFive Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:50

If they don't have places they can send you to another school in the area often the least disirable one because that one will be the most likely to have places left.
Markeaton primary school and lawn primary school both seem good but I don't know the area.

poorincashrichinlove Sun 23-Feb-14 11:24:18

If I lived in Derby I would want to send my DCs to the state Buddhist primary school. I love the emphasis on kindness and the fact that yoga and meditation are a normal part of the day

MrsJamesMartin Sun 23-Feb-14 11:28:12

Where do you actually live in derby at the momenty? That will dictate largely, where you can apply,you can't apply for a school in duffield if you're in littleover for example with any real hope of getting in.

clary Sun 23-Feb-14 23:15:47

Duffield primary schools are both good in terms of Ofsted and anecdotal evidence too. If they were full however, yes you would be offered a place at the nearest available school.

Duffield is a village not in Derby itself (not far out tho); if you lived in Derby city there would maybe be a bigger range of schools within a shorter distance.

I would call Derby City council (for Derby schools) and Derbyshire county council (for schools in county but outside Derby, eg Duffield) to find out where there are places in reception classes and then start from there.

Your budget for housing (renting or buying) will also come into this of course; homes near "desirable" schools often attract a premium rent or selling price. PM me if you want any more detailed info about schools in the city and I'll help if I can.

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Feb-14 20:15:33

Check where the county boundaries lie as well - you might end up tipping over into Derbyshire jurisdiction rather than Derby City - just something to keep in mind. Duffield's not the side of the city I know best but I've not heard much bad about the schools there (I did primary supply in Derby/Derbyshire/Nottingham/Nottinghamshire for a good few years so know lots of schools either in person or via the supply "don't ever go there!!!" grapevine)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now